Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting? >
  • Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting?

• Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM

No such thing as a silly question here. As you can see others want to know also. If we didn't ask questions we would never learn.
    I have quilted on the back of a quilt because I was using monofil and the front fabric was very dark. Happy quilting.
    Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 AM

face (some have a rougher texture that catches at the fabric and makes it difficult to FMQ.
    Do you need to make a hole for the needle?
    I find that the first time I lower the needle through the plastic or card, the hole is made and I just carry on from there.[/quote]

How clever! :thumbup:
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM

This is amazing. I looked on the Internet for other designs but only found all over printed fabric, They call them fat backs , 3 yds by 108". I'm glad you posted this.
    Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by dreamgirl
    I know this is a crazy question, but I wonder if anyone ever quilts on the back of your quilt. The reason I'm wondering about this is because when I quilt heart or flower motifs I like the puffy look on the front of my quilt. Does this make any sense?( Sorry if it sounds silly-new to quilting)
    Not a silly question, but I fail to understand how quilting on the back can produce a puffy look on the front. The puffiness would be determined by the batting you choose and how close your quilting lines are. I have always had the same puff on the front and back, regardless of of which side I quilt on.
    Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM

i have heard of doing it on the back before , but i have not tried it yet
    Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I know this is a crazy question, but I wonder if anyone ever quilts on the back of your quilt. The reason I'm wondering about this is because when I quilt heart or flower motifs I like the puffy look on the front of my quilt. Does this make any sense?( Sorry if it sounds silly-new to quilting)
    Not a silly question, but I fail to understand how quilting on the back can produce a puffy look on the front. The puffiness would be determined by the batting you choose and how close your quilting lines are. I have always had the same puff on the front and back, regardless of of which side I quilt on.
    I have used warm and natural and polyester low loft, but it seems like the front is always flat and the puffiness is on the back. What kind of batting would you suggest?
    Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Diane, without reading several pages of replies, I don't know if anyone answered you question so forgive me if I'm answering something you already know about.
    You can take the feed dogs off your machine. There should be two screws holding them on. They are really tight so it will take some muscle to get them started. Be sure to put them in a safe place for when you want to do regular sewing you will be able to put them back on.

Originally Posted by union lady

I have a question about FMQ. I am new to quilting as you will be able to tell by my question. My feed dogs don't drop down. Is there a way to cover them to FMQ? I really love my machine so don't want to buy a new one.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Diane
    Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I have used warm and natural and polyester low loft, but it seems like the front is always flat and the puffiness is on the back. What kind of batting would you suggest?
    If you want awesome definition of your quilting, I've used Quilter's Dream Puff - it's a poly and really looks awesome when quilted. I really like all the batting Quilter's Dream produces, never had a bad one!
    Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM

As to why the front is flat and the back is puffy, I wonder if the scrim they use to keep the batting from separating would be the reason why one side would be flat> Does anyone know about this?
    Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    It's not a crazy question to me. I was thinking about asking the same thing. I have some backing material with swirls on it, and I thought I might use it to do my FMQ. I wondered, too, if quilting from the back made sense.
    Yesterday, as I was waiting in the hospital for the Orthopedic surgeon to make an appearance, I suddenly remembered reading in an old magazine, that what we now refer to as the back( the full cloth side) was originally the front or "Good" side. The wealthy would have full cloth on both sides, the poor would have patchwork on both sides. Does this make sense to anyone out there on the board? :?: