Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Side winder versus pre-wound bobbins >
  • Side winder versus pre-wound bobbins

• Side winder versus pre-wound bobbins

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM

I have a side winder from Joann's. Got it back when new they ran about $40 with my 50% coupon I decided to try it. I love my side winder. It is plug in, or battery operated. Winds thread evenly everytime, have even wound bobbins off large cones with no problem (cone in coffee cup beside the winder) My older machines, 45 yrs plus, don't like the pre wound. It is quick and easy to wind 4-5 bobbins before I start a quilt and I'm set to go.
    Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger
    I love and have used prewound bobbins (size L from Superior Threads) for both sewing on my DSM and FMG on my previous shortarm. However, my new Bailey machine uses Class 15 bobbins. I have tried size L prewounds with mixed success. I got the deluxe sidewinder so I can rewind the size L bobbin thread onto Class 15 bobbins. At one time I used only cotton threads, top and bottom . Now that the myths about using polyester have been debunked, I now use whatever thread works well with whatever project I am doing. No hard and fast rules here.
    Try putting a dime in the bottom of your bobbin case. It will bring the height of the L bobbin up to the height of a class 15.
    Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I have a side winder from Joann's. Got it back when new they ran about $40 with my 50% coupon I decided to try it. I love my side winder. It is plug in, or battery operated. Winds thread evenly everytime, have even wound bobbins off large cones with no problem (cone in coffee cup beside the winder) My older machines, 45 yrs plus, don't like the pre wound. It is quick and easy to wind 4-5 bobbins before I start a quilt and I'm set to go.

I agree! I need 5 filled bobbins for every purse I make. I just plug in my Sidewinder.....the original one...and zip....done! It winds much quicker using the plug in vs the battery. I have Janome machines.

While i understand the convenience of prewounds...I live 30 miles from the nearest Joanns or wherever you pick them up. Yes, I could order online but I dont want another task. I have not done the math to see if the prewounds are worth the costs.

I stock up on the large cones of thread so I have plenty of thread on hand. I dont mind a "winding " break. My 2 cents.

Stacie
    Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 AM

? Can't be any faster than winding them on your machine can it? How much is a few seconds speed worth?
    I have a hand crank, a 1947 white and the Janome Horizon and all wind bobbins beautifully.
    Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Does anyone here know if these pre-wound bobbins will work in a Voyager 17? It's a side load bobbin case.