Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sidewalk chalk for marking? >
  • Sidewalk chalk for marking?

• Sidewalk chalk for marking?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM
    Power Poster

I thought that the chalk used for tailoring was a different formulation that allows the chalk to be removed easily. Might be wrong, but I would proceed with caution and do lots of testing with scrap fabric! Good luck. If it works, it will be a good savings.
    Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I found the white chalkboard chalk a little difficult to come off fabric but worth a try. It came off except right where the needle went into the fabric, left a white dot. Will probably come out when washed but some wallhangings I don't plan on washing.
    Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
    I almost bought some Crayola colored chalk the other day but it had a warning on it that it would stain fabrics... the white didn't have a warning.
    I would be cautious with the blue and red. I remember my kids having that sidewalk chalk stain their clothes-some never did come out.
    Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
    Originally Posted by bjeriann
    I was told that you can grid up the chalk and use it in the pounce pad. I have never tried it but at that price I think I'll pick some up and try on a practice piece.
    I've had that idea myself. I also wonder if a blackboard eraser will work if it's dabbed in colored chalk and then pounced on pattern.
    Actually they tell you not to "pounce" the powder with a pounce pad. ??? I really don't know why they chose to call it pounce if that's not the way it works. You're actually supposed to just rub it across the stencil with a loaded pounce pad. I have a pounce pad too, but haven't used it much yet. It does work, though. The pounce pad was a recent acquisition that came with my new long arm. :) The lady I bought it from wasn't using it and threw it in. Lucky me! I love the way it works, and considered using my chalk trimmings in the pad, but was afraid maybe the powder would be too large grained. That was when I decided to try it with maybe a large makeup brush and stencil. Like a loose powder brush. It will be interesting to see the outcome. I'm just not to the stenciling stage yet on my current project (got sidetracked with a small upholstery job). Soon, very soon..... I'm anxious to try it out.
    Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Test that chalk on some scraps before using on a quilt! I have seen too many clothese stained when kids are playing with it. It might not wash out easily.
    Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM

I have used chalk many times and had no problem washing it out. I use regular chalkboard chalk and sharpen it. If it is something that I don't want to wash I use a damp washcloth and lightly go over the chalk lines. It has always work for me.