Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The Sidewinder >
  • The Sidewinder

• The Sidewinder

Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Ok that is good enough for me, I am going to get one as soon as I get a half off coupon and can find one. They go so fast here, this is the second shipment and I am sure they are gone also. But I will get one..

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Rita
    Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Foxigranni:
    I found my Sidewinder on the very bottom shelf, clear in the BACK of the shelt under the needles section on the WALL of notions at Joann's. I was told I was lucky to "find" it by the store clerk???? Whatever that means.

Feathers
    Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    Foxigranni:
    I found my Sidewinder on the very bottom shelf, clear in the BACK of the shelt under the needles section on the WALL of notions at Joann's. I was told I was lucky to "find" it by the store clerk???? Whatever that means.

Feathers
    Whatever that means is that someone, a store clerk perhaps, put it in an obscure place where they could retrieve it when they got off work.

A long funny story about great Thanksgiving weekend sales at a local huge electronic store that almost gives components away on certain sales days (I built my computer for about $200 not including monitor (which was a free castoff from the people across the street)). By the time I got to the store, all these great deals were of course gone... Until I started looking at the upper shelves (I am 6'1") looking behind other boxes, looking in larger shipping boxes...

Employees had put one or two away here or there. There were amazed checkout people when at 5:00PM I checked out with 4 or 5 items that were sold out at 8:00AM that morning.

tim in san jose
    Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM

That is disgusting. And people wonder about the sales that are offered.

I also have had this happen to me.

I certainly hope you all find the sidwinder one of the things that you will use periodically. I use mine quite often. Sure save from unthreading the machine and starting all over.

And, I really believe that it might be getting more thread on the bobbin than when I wind it on my machine.
    Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by grannypjb
    That is disgusting. And people wonder about the sales that are offered.

I also have had this happen to me.

I certainly hope you all find the sidwinder one of the things that you will use periodically. I use mine quite often. Sure save from unthreading the machine and starting all over.

And, I really believe that it might be getting more thread on the bobbin than when I wind it on my machine.
    It's not that bad Grannypjb...

They sold pallets of these things. I look at it as more of a game...

I am not willing to get up at 4:30 in the morning to stand in line to get them.

Cattle rushes is what they most resemble.

As far as the sidewinder, I don't go through bobbins at 6 or 12 a day like some of you. *L*

The machine does just fine. It gives me a break from focusing on the 1/4 inch seams.

tim

Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 AM

I bought the Sidewinder with a 40% off coupon at Joann's. I love gadgets and loved the concept of this new little machine.

Here's what I discovered:
    When the top is open it puts the center of gravity off and you have to hold the base with one hand to keep it from tipping backwards, or prop it against something during use.

You need to unthread your machine to use the thread if you run out of a bobbin during your project.

The pin that holds the spool of thread is thin. When the machine is turned on the thread starts spinning so fast and wobbly, it rides up the pin. I had to keep a finger on the spinning spool to stabilize it while winding. For those of you keeping count, I'm now using both hands while winding a bobbin.

Overall I found it light, cheap and a little noisy. For $20 I'll stick to my old habit of winding bobbins on my machine. I returned the Sidewinder for a refund.

Just my 2 cents, Dianne