Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sign of the times. >
  • Sign of the times.

• Sign of the times.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 AM

Scrappy quilts are also my favorite! I agree that even the ugliest fabric looks good in a scrappy quilt. They are so colorful and go with anything.
    Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 AM

That's interesting that you feel there are more people doing scrappies. I thought that I was just noticing more scrappies--that it was just that I hadn't noticed them before. I have a growing love for scrappy quilts--I consider it part of my evolution as a quilter. There's certainly nothing wrong with you--scrappy quilts are the best!
    Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM

I love scrappies. I also love when my friends give me scraps. I have a lot to make some great scrappy quilts.
    Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM

I understand your scrap addiction. I sometimes wonder if something is not wrong with me because I would rather sew in my scraps than cut into my fabrics. It is weird and I have so much fabric that I really don't need to sew with the scraps...I just love sewing with them. I too get so excited when someone gives me scraps. I do donate the really tiny pieces to a lady who does dog beds for the Humane Society. I do this because none of my scraps go to waste and I use all $10 worth of yardage and none goes to the landfill. I love scraps.
    Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM

I don't like to waste fabric, thus my scrappies are born. However...I have to admit, I do hate cutting out scraps because big pieces of fabric cut into strips seems a whole lot easier to me. I always like the end result, but do them out of guilt of waste more than love of the look!
    Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM

I really like the idea of planning the scrappy and then looking at the results. It is very rewarding.
    Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 AM

I sew scrappy to use up leftovers from quilts and my stash. I do like the look.
    Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 AM

I love all kinds of quilts. My grandmother and her sisters all made beautiful quilts...some controlled and some scrappy. The scrappies were the most fun for me because I could look at them for hours and pick out pieces of fabric I recognized from clothing we all wore. They were kind of like I Spy quilts. The scrappies I make now don't have fabrics I recognize from clothes, but many are fabrics from other quilts. I also just love the freedom and randomness of a scrappy quilt. You can make multiples of the same quilt using different scraps and they will each have a personality of their own. They are just plain FUN!!

I also think that Bonnie Hunter may have some influence here as well.
    Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 AM

I love scrappy quilts. So many different fabrics. I can't bear to throw even the smallest piece of fabric away. So, I'll never fun out of things to sew. There are so many scrappy patterns too. I don't know if it is a sign of the times or not. If so, it started long ago and will probably go for a while longer.
    Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Personally I've never made a scrappy but I do have plenty of scraps. I collect any size and it has to be mighty small before I throw it out. I mean, if you can get each side to be sewn 1/4 inch and still be able to see the fabric...it's a keeper! Even if it is ugly I figure it'll look good somewhere giving it a nice permanent home! GOOD THREAD!