Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Signing your Quilt >
  • Signing your Quilt

• Signing your Quilt

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 AM
    Banned

I usually hand embroider 2 labels (affixed to the back of the quilt one to each side)

1. My name, town, state
    date or dates of the quilt
    2. name of quilt (if there is one)and name of recipient.

Sometimes I just print out a label that has my logo, name & location, after adding the year.
    Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM

So here is my question for quilt labels. I am making 2 baby quilts for a friend for her 2 new grandbabies. When I do the labels, (the quilts are from her), how would you do that?

Thanks
    Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
    Banned

[quote=hsquiltingmom]So here is my question for quilt labels. I am making 2 baby quilts for a friend for her 2 new grandbabies. When I do the labels, (the quilts are from her), how would you do that?

Unless she wouldn't want to acknowledge you made them

Label 1. Your name, location, date
    Label 2. From Grandma with love and the child's name
    Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 AM

If the grandmother is paying you to make these, her name could be on it as such: "presented on the birth of Name-of-Baby by So-and-So, and the date." I'd either put my signature with that information, "...and made by my-name" or in another location.

If the grandmother doesn't have a financial investment in the quilts, I think the card she gives with the quilt is enough credit that it's from her. I'd still sign and date the quilt.

I look at my quilts kind of like they are fine art (i have delusions of grandeur! lol) - and artists sign their paintings (on the front, I might add), without consideration to where the painting or whatever will go when it's done.

just my two cents :)
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 PM

I always label my quilts and quilted items. As of late I've been doing them on my embroidery machine. I enter all of my text and put a frame of stiches around it (kind of like a badge). I might also add a motif that matches the quilt. I cut it out, fuse it on the back of the quilt and secure it with hand stitching in matching thread. Although my name is embroidered on the label, I still sign it with a Pigma pen for a personal touch.
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
    Power Poster

My first quilts I didn't sign. I didn't know you should. I now make an embroidered label with the quilt name, who it is for, my name and the date it was finished. I sew these on the back of the quilt.
    Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't have an embroidery machine, yet :), and people tell me my handwriting is nice but I still prefer to use my computer and printer. I use the printable fabric sheets. I have a heart shape template that I use to cut my label shape in. I print a message that I know will be within the size of the label shape I include my name and the date along the edge of the shape so it's there but doesn't take way from the primary message of the quilt.
    Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM

I sometimes embroider my info on a patch or use a permanent marker. Although, somebody once told me you should write directly on the quilt backing and not on a label. Because your label could be removed and someone can put their name on the quilt.I don't know why anyone would do that, BUT just thought I would share this info.
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    I love to embroider mine with my machine. However, I also purchased a book with iron on quilt label designs and iron them on to muslin then color in with fabric markers. They come out real cute too!
    Hi Kathy!

What is the name of this book? Sounds like something I'd be interested in purchasing. Thanks!
    Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been stuck trying to decide what to do and this definitely helps!