Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Signing your quilts >
  • Signing your quilts

• Signing your quilts

Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 AM

I am making sure I label all my quilts. I have alot of quilts my husbands grandmother made, probably back during the depression/war era....I wish I knew when they were made. This answers questions for my daughters as I hand them down.
    Old 07-29-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts
    When you have someone else quilt your quilt, do you add their name when you sign your quilt?
    Yes, I do. That person is as much a part of the quilt as I am.
    Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Yes, I had my first quilt to be quilted professionally done a short time ago. It was a gift for my first Step-
    great-grandaughter. I wanted it to be as close to perfect (not perfect) as possible so I sent it to a long-arm quilter. I put her name on the label as the quilter. I only put her first name though. I don't put my last name on any labels. Quirky I know.
    Sue
    Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 AM

I always do, as I have a senior citizen center quilt some of mine, and I consider it disrespectful to not give them credit for the lovely hand quilting. I usually put, Pieced By:__ and then Quilted By: xxxxx Senior Center. That way I am not taking credit for the entire project
    Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

I put as much information as I can on my labels. I haven't had anyone else quilt mine yet, but if I did I'd include their info as well, it's an acknowledgement of their work and the label is there to provide all the information for those looking at the quilt now and in the future. One of my daughters did a small doll quilt (she was 11 at the time), when we did the label we put sewn by XX and quilted by XXXX ("mom").

BTW, just so you have an idea how I do mine, here is an example of a label I made for a quilt that I followed someone's pattern on:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-233331.jpe  
    Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM

I dont feel the quilter has any investment or interest in where the quilt goes. I paid for everything including her fee. Would we put the name of the fabric company on it or the name of the batting, etc. Putting it in a quilt show is different as the show usually requires that both people be named, but the quilt is owned by whoever enters it. If the quilter and I did this as a project together for a mutual friend, then yes of course. I do lots of "quilting by check" and none of the quilters care if they are mentioned or not. It is a business to them and they are on to the next quilt. When I display quilts at Show n Tell, I always mention the quilters name and usually the first question is "who quilted that for you?".