Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Silly FMQ Issue:  I can't see where I'm going!  (if following a pattern) >
  • Silly FMQ Issue: I can't see where I'm going! (if following a pattern)

• Silly FMQ Issue: I can't see where I'm going! (if following a pattern)

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Back again...it's really quite funny the way some people learn...me: I have no fresh ideas of my own. BUT...give me a tidbit of information, and I can run with it, and find what I need, or come up with something new.

Regarding the former...I just found this FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC video from Leah Day on how to actually modify my new (generic) darning foot. This is the exact foot I have, and everything she's showing here for "issues" is what I'm experiencing. Not that I NEED to keep coming back to my own threads and answering my own questions, but after getting bits & pieces of info from people like Lisa up there, I find what I need, and maybe this will help someone else.

For the record, I have a Kenmore 385 1254180 (I think that's the number) circa 1986 machine, and got my "Quilting Attachment Kit" from Sears parts. Here's the video from Leah Day on modifying my foot:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freemotionfoot.htm
    Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

"I couldn't see the pattern beyond the shank/needle/foot."

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    A little trick.... try "following the line" like you would drive a car. In other words, you look way up the road to see what's ahead rather than looking immediately off the hood of the car to see the road when you steer the car.

In quilting, know where the line is going and take your fabric that direction rather than expecting your needle to hit exactly on the line behind or to the side of the needle. Look ahead at the line rather than the needle.

Jan in VA
    I think this might be the answer for some people. It's like driving a car. The needle will do it's thing without being watched. The operator is directing the path.

The fabric is moving, so it can be a little harder to see the markings. Make the marks clear. Be sure to sit up straight so the focus of your glasses is in the right place
    Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

you are supposed to look where you are going not the needle. It is hard to do but just like driving a car.