Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Silly question,lol >
  • Silly question,lol

• Silly question,lol

Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 AM

I made my first quilt at the age of 16. It was tied. But I still felt like a quilter! I pieced it on a treadle machine. I wonder what my Aunt and Grandmother would say if they new I bought new fabric just to cut up to make a quilt. We were suppose to make them out of leftover fabrics and usable fabric cut from worn clothes. And we used wool blankets bought from the Salvation Army instead of batting.

Remember how people used to turn their noses up if some one had the audacity to machine quilt rather than tie or hand quilt?

I used to decorate cakes. I was told by some that my cakes were not homemade because I used cake mixes. I used them as an ingredient - I hardly ever made a cake by the directions on the box. So what is the definition of homemade?

Times are a changing!
    Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM

I say every aspect of quilting denotes a quilter.
    Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

Every one who helps in the creation of the quilt is a quilter. It also doesn't matter the size. When you stitch 1 or more pieces of material together to become one, it is considered a quilt.
    Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM
    Power Poster

AlienQuilter, homemade means it was made at home not on an assembly like they do in most bakeries. The box is the main ingredient and everything else is an additional ingredient. I'm happy you can bake. Any cake I have ever made has always fallen. I can bake a pie (homemade dough) but can't bake a cake to save my soul.
    Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM

A woman we paid to come to present a program for one of the quilt guilds to which I belong crushed one of our members by telling her that people who make quilt tops and have some else sew the sandwich together are not quilters, but ONLY "toppers!" Her supercilious snobbery made me wish we had not paid her.

I used to be a newspaper reporter, which is to say I went out and interviewed people, observed events and wrote stories that the editors edited and then sent to the press room, where the men who ran the presses loaded the paper into the presses, adjusted the ink flow and printed the paper. Before any of that could happen, the people who worked in advertising had to sell enough ads to pay for the paper (subscriptions don't begin to pay expenses). And after all that, other men and women delivered the paper everywhere there were subscribers.

Now, which ones of us were "newspaper men/women?"

Same difference with people who make quilt tops and with people who sew them to border and back. Can't have one without the other! froggyintexas
    Originally Posted by oneteappot
    I was asked today, who is a quilter, the person who sews all the little pieces together or when a quilt is sent out to be quilted, the person that sews all the layers together. I say both! Your opinion????
    Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 AM

I believe that both are quilters.
    Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter

I used to decorate cakes. I was told by some that my cakes were not homemade because I used cake mixes. I used them as an ingredient - I hardly ever made a cake by the directions on the box. So what is the definition of homemade?

Times are a changing!
    That is crazy. Your cakes are homemade. They just aren't completely "made from scratch". Big difference. I have a friend that owns a bakery and she uses mixes for the cakes.
    Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM
    joy

I thought that the person who put the quilt together was a patchworker... and the person who quilted it was a quilter...
    Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    AlienQuilter, homemade means it was made at home not on an assembly like they do in most bakeries. The box is the main ingredient and everything else is an additional ingredient. I'm happy you can bake. Any cake I have ever made has always fallen. I can bake a pie (homemade dough) but can't bake a cake to save my soul.
    I'm just the opposite - can't make a decent pie crust even when using a mix!
    Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Goodness, what have I started! LOL!
    No matter what we a called, all love the process and (usually) the outcome! And the process can be so relaxing at times!