• Main
  • Since I posted being hit >
  • Since I posted being hit

• Since I posted being hit

Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I agree totally, :thumbup:
    Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by catray
    Reading all the different colors that bleed makes me think. We live in an area that has alot of minerals in the water. We don't have a water softner except on our drinking water usage. Every part of the country has some problems even though the water you have is not tainted with mineral and such. Could that be part of the problem of one person having one color bleed and not another? Just a thought.
    Yes.

The detergent used can also make a difference. Some detergents are so alkaline that they raise the pH of the wash water over 10, which is the point at which even fibre reactive dye molecules will become unattached from the receptor sites on the cotton fibres.

This is an unintended consequence of energy conservation efforts. Many washing machines made in the last 10-15 years no longer have a truly hot wash; they mix in cold water even when set to "hot" because it improves the energy rating assigned. Plus, many people keep their water heaters set at 120 degrees F, which is actually not really all that hot. Combine those two factors and many home washing machines don't really have a wash temp that gets much above barely warm.

Well, on the molecular level, soap and detergents work best in the range between 145 and 200 degrees F. That's way hotter than most domestic washing machines ever get. People don't like it when their clothes don't smell or look clean after going through the washing machine (which is pretty reasonable) so detergent manufacturers had to Do Something.

The use of phosphates in detergents have been restricted in this country because they act as fertilisers in the waterways. Hello algae blooms and mass fish kills! Unfortunately, the easiest way to improve cool and warm water performance of detergents is to add phosphates.

So, manufacturers resort to adding ingredients to make the detergent more alkaline. This isn't shady or necessarily bad; for instance, washing soda is a long used, tried and true way of boosting the power of detergents. But combining a super alkaline detergent with an alkaline water source and trouble with fabrics bleeding can result.

If I had more than a very, very occasional fabric that bled, I'd use my pH strips to check the pH of my water supply and whatever detergents and additives I was using to wash my fabric in and make choices accordingly.

All soaps and detergents are alkaline, it's the nature of the beast. If you add an acid, like vinegar, you also cut the washing power. This probably isn't a problem if you are washing lightly soiled fabric or prewashing new fabrics before use. It will be a problem if you have something that really needs to have dirt, oil or stains removed.

Strictly in my own opinion, I feel the best course is to use a detergent that is as close to neutral as possible. The three products I know of that are closest to neutral pH are Orvus (and the knockoffs like Horvus), Synthrapol and Dharma Professional Textile Detergent.

Finally, a note about colour catchers: they not only catch dye, they also catch tiny bits of lint. Sometimes the colour change observed after washing a brand new fabric is actually due to lint, particularly if it is a fabric with a very soft, almost velvety texture. Cotton fabric woven with mercerised threads are smoother and more lustrous with deeper colours but they're also more expensive. Cotton fabric woven with unmercerised threads has an ever so slightly more velvety texture, with no lustre and they also shed more lint.
    Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I used Woolite because it was supposed to be good always on delicates but the red flannel I used color came out. I wonder if that was what caused the color problem. Does anyone know? Thanks, Sue
    Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
    I used Woolite because it was supposed to be good always on delicates but the red flannel I used color came out. I wonder if that was what caused the color problem. Does anyone know? Thanks, Sue
    Afriend told me that Woolite will take the color out of fabric, and she only uses Cheer without bleach on her fabrics.
    Old 07-02-2011, 06:31 PM

I think a lot has to do with the water. A friend and I tested fabric that we both purchased in a wash iwthout soap. We live about 45 miles apart. Off the same bolt, hers bled and mine did not.
    Old 07-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
    Did the flannel itself visibly fade or did you find a lot of red in the water or on other things it was washed with?

If you found a lot of red without the flannel visibly fading, it could have been lint. Flannel is made from cotton fabric that is woven out of heavier thread than what is used for the usual quilting fabrics. The last step of the manufacturing process is to run the fabric between rollers that are like giant wire brushes. These rollers catch at the fibres on the surface of the fabric and pull them up and out of the twist of the threads, creating that fuzzy surface.

This process also creates a lot of loose fibres that are just waiting to come out of the fabric.

I remember a few years ago, my husband came to ask me to look at the skin on his arms because he thought he had an "unnatural flush." Well, it was an unnatural flush, all right--he'd been wearing a new red plaid flannel shirt and the lint was all over his skin! A shower for him and a few trips through the washing machine for the shirt took care of the problem with no medical expertise needed.
    Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Always, always prewash. You never know!
    Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    All it takes is "once bitten to be twice shy". Glad you pre-washed and caught it before being bitten.
    I agree with you there. I now wash all the time. If it is clod outside I wait until the weather is better or if I need it urgently I will wash. I have the flu and the weather is cold and windy so I am staying inside as my laundry is outside.
    Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Hope you start feeling better soon.
    Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks for letting me know that. I was really disappointed that happened especially since it was a gift. Sue