Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer 301 >
  • Singer 301

• Singer 301

Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I've developed an appreciation for Featherweights after hearing many of your praises for them. I'm not, however, wanting to spend the money that most ask for one because it's just a novelty, not a necessity. Not to mention I've been spending way too much money on sewing related articles lately. Yesterday, I thought I would stroll through our local antique mall in search of old Singers, hoping I would find a Featherweight at a price I would feel comfortable paying. I didn't find a Featherweight, but I did find a Singer 301 in what appears to be a complete and fair, if not good, condition. I plugged it in and, at first, it was loud and sick sounding, but soon seemed to settle into a normal sounding rumble. Of course I hadn't brought fabric, so I was sewing on a brown paper towel, and their wasn't a spool of thread, only a length of thread about two feet long. The stitches were somewhat loose, perhaps due to the towel and short thread, and I didn't have a chance to test the bobbin winder. Also, it has a very strong "old" smell to it, especially the case. Now that I've given you more details than you care to hear, I'll tell you the price on it is $69. What do you think? Good deal, or pass it up and move on? Should I be concerned about that initial growling? I don't want to have it serviced, but would rather clean the ol'
    gal up myself. Any advice about self servicing her? (Incidently, it's black and sweet, but not cute as a button like the Featherweights.) Words of wisdom wanted.
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 AM

I am thrilled to hear that you are willing to give the vintage Singer machines a chance. I have Featherweights and do not consider them a novelty. They are a wonderful workhorse for their size, but I do agree that the prices that people are asking for them can be a bit daunting. They are a perfect machine to take to class - or on vacation as I have done. I also have Singer 301 machines and absolutely love them. They are a fantastic machine and I use this machine for piecing and I have even done some machine quilting on them. If you have the chance at a 301 for $69.00 I would say grab it and have it serviced - yo will never be sorry. Good luck and hope you will come to enjoy your vintage Singer.

Sue in PA
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 AM

I've been searching for a 301 under $100.00. You can easily clean them up and they will run forever. I prefer the 301, because it's a bit larger than the featherweight, but still a portable weight and easy to bring to a class or wherever. Excellent find! Check out the vintage machine thread here and you will find all the information you need to make her glow and hum....
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

I would grab it! And the black ones are harder to find.
    You can clean it up yourself I bet. Also check with Lostn51 or Charlee in the machine shop section.
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

About Featherweights- yes they are wonderful but right now they are so ridiculously priced. I hope you find one when you're least expecting it. :)
    I love my 301 !!
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM

I would go for it!
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 AM

get it - it probably needs a little cleaning, oiling and greasing (yes there is a difference between oiling and greasing)

Let's see the pic when you buy it
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

If you don't want it I do & will pay you to get it & ship it to me! Great machine, can do FMQ with it, yet light enough to take to quilting classes. Wish I could find one, especially at that price. Go for it!
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
    Power Poster

I'm looking for a 301 too. I want a black one with a long bed.

The 301 is known as the "big sister" to the featherweight. It weighs a bit more, but is still light enough to take to classes, and has that handle on top that makes it easy to carry. I would probably point out all the problems with the one in the shop, then offer $20. They would probably counter, but you should be able to get it for less than the asking price.
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM

i would get it but i am addicted