Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer 301 Club - Show and Tell >
  • Singer 301 Club - Show and Tell

• Singer 301 Club - Show and Tell

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM

I would like one of these some day, just waiting for that good deal! I just realized my house is painted in the LBOW colors! Now wonder I like that one!
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Do you need a special cradle to use when putting them into a cabinet? Or can you just put them in like a regular older machine?
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM

They do need the cradle and the two brackets to screw into the front lip of the cabinet and clip into the cradle.

I only have one 301 - it's like new inside - like nobody ever used it. Very quiet and strong. :)

Tan 301
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]202234[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202228.jpe  
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Looking forward to polishing her up and oiling.... hope to no some quilting with her this long week-end. I named her "Kailee" for a special little friend that I hope to teach to quilt when she's a little older.
    Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Here is my 301. It was made in 1951. I got it at a garage sale, in a cabinet, for $20. It didn't come with any attachments, but I was able to find some online. It is the first time I've used a slant stitch machine. It makes wonderful straight stitches. I use it mostly for piecing quilts.

My mocha 301
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]202264[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202258.jpe  
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM

I have one! It was one of the first machines that I have bought. I have just been playing on it, haven't started a quilt yet. I just bought it a month or so ago. I did however mend a pair of jeans this last weekend! HAHA!

I would like to find a black one also. There was a card table cabinet on the Bay that was local that I missed out on, so I will be looking for one of those also.

These picture are from the first day, I hadn't even wiped it off yet. I guess I should figure out a name for him or her.....
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202311.jpe   attachment-202312.jpe   attachment-202313.jpe  
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM

301 as stated previously needs a special cradle and from what my Singer guy tells me "very hard to find"...I did see one on ebay abt a mth ago. Fortunately I measured my Singer cabinet before I bought it because the hole wasn't big enough...Guy wanted 35.00.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM

$35 is pretty reasonable if the cradle came with the two latches that attach to the cabinet separately. Without the two latches, $35 is overpriced by about $34.50. :mrgreen:
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM

I bought what I think is a 301 (looks like the photos y'all have posted here) about a month ago. Haven't tried it yet, but am going to get her set up hopefully tonight and see how she runs. I call her The Tank, and can't wait to see how she does. I bought her as a dedicated machine for my quilting frame, because moving one machine back and forth is a real pain in the rear end!

I have to put two more strips on my first tee-shirt quilt, then get the back set up, and then I'll be able to get it put on the frame and get 'r done, as they say. Hopefully this won't be too much of a hassle, as the quilt is a graduation gift for my fiancee's son, and his part is on Saturday - that's right, 3 days away. Oh, but wait, there's more! Tonight's church and tomorrow night I have to clean the house for company coming over the weekend, arriving Friday, and I also have this pesky day job....
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos and stories of your 301 machines! I hope to see more entries, since the 301A is becoming a popular machine, especially for those who discover the “dual duty” ease of having a cabinet-mounted machine that becomes a take-along portable by pressing one lever to lift the machine out of the cabinet, or put it back in. I’m going to try to FMQ on mine sometime after I get it back into service.

Here are some photos of the cradle, a close-up of one of the “latches” that the cradle needs, and a shot of my 301A in my wife’s Model 430 Sewing Desk (its home for her 401A). I discovered that her cabinet had the latches in it, so I put a cradle in it to mount my 301A in it just for kicks. Who knows, she may want to FMQ with it someday. It seems like some upper-end Singer cabinets have the latches mounted in them, even if some other model of machine actually went out with the cabinet. The cradle probably wasn’t included, unless the cabinet was meant to be used with a 301A.

CD in Oklahoma

Singer 301 Cradle
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]202683[/ATTACH]

Singer Cradle Latch
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]202684[/ATTACH]

My 301A in a Singer Model 430 Desk
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]202685[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202677.jpe   attachment-202678.jpe   attachment-202679.jpe