Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine >
  • Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

• Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

Old 07-18-2024, 01:57 AM

Default Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to the sewing world.... I have someone selling a Singer 331K6 industrial machine near me. I'm interested in it but I need to get more information, which is proving difficult even online. The owner doesn't know anything about it....

So here I am, hoping to get some help.

I just want to know general information really, such as it's capabilities with different materials from sheer/light to thicker fabrics, maintenance, ease or difficulty of finding parts, etc.

Thankyou in advance!

Dannielle.
    Old 07-18-2024, 03:44 AM

From what I can tell from "googe", this machine is good for upholstery work and heavy duty fabrics , sail cloth, upholstery, etc. It also doesn't have a walking foot for it at all. Doesn't sound like it's a good idea for sheer/light weight fabrics at all. Also seems to have problems with the shuttle hook.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:30 AM

Here is my reply to the same post in vintage section, which would be a good place for it, since it was made starting in 1959.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    Since you say you are new to sewing, I would suggest if you want to go vintage that you look into some more common domestic machines. As bkay said industrial machines "are often single purpose machines" and consequently not for a variety of fabrics. Also since there are not as many industrial machines 'in the wild' the parts are more difficult to find.

According to ISMACS comprehensive model list the 331K6 is Wheel feed. Roller presser. For leather. If you are having trouble finding much information online about the machine, just think about how much harder it would be to find parts for.

Most early Singer domestic sewing machines will sew a variety of fabrics from light to heavy (denim or wool coating) with the right needles and thread.