Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer Fashion Mate 288 cam help >
  • Singer Fashion Mate 288 cam help

• Singer Fashion Mate 288 cam help

Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM

I bought a Singer Fashion Mate machine for $20.00, including the cabinet. It sews- I'm cleaning it up now and after 2 emails to Singer, it's been identified as a 288. I got the manual from the website (lucky me, it was free).

Now- I see that the cams for the different stitches appear to be "extras." Anyone have any idea of where to start to find some?

They are numbered: 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 13, 27, 37, 350, 351 and 352.

(Ebay doesn't have anything.)

I'm going to put a call in tomorrow to the guy that cleans my Touch N Sew to see if he has anything and to schedule a visit for this machine and my other Touch N Sew (I was gifted- owner couldn't find the power cord).

I was feeling lucky and bought a Singer Merritt 4525 for $40 on craigslist, which is getting cleaned up and practicing sewing. The only problem, someone let their dog chew the section that comes off for free arm sewing. I figure I can sand it down and it will be OK. That will be for my future DIL for mending. I have a Merritt in the closet that was a fiasco buy on Ebay- owner said it was fine, I snapped the shank trying to get off the plastic buttonhole foot (shank is plastic). I might try to see if the shank from this one fits the closet one- it has more bells and whistles that I haven't been able to try. Then ship that one off to be gone over.

Any ideas on where to find the cams would be great! (The Touch N Sew won't fit, already tried.)

Thanks!!!!!!

Barb
    Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM

There are two kinds of cams for singer....one is the high hat and the other is the flat. Usually you can find them under assecories on e bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-SINGER-FASHIO...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 AM

thanks- I put in Singer Fashion Mate for all of crafts. There were no entries for cams. These would not fit this machine. Darn! Anyway, I will keep checking under accessories- there might be something else that catches my eye for the other machines while I'm wandering around.

Barb

Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 AM

wooo hooo another addition to your machines!!

I am getting a new one today and I can't WAIT!! I'm getting my Singer Featherweight!! the Singer dealer I chat with had two come in this week. He knew I had a big interest in them, and he told me he would give me the best of the two, clean it up and service it and give me a good deal. I pick up my new baby over my lunch break today. I cant' wait to bring her home!
    Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM

there's a new buying/selling service. it's called LiveSimon.com. they may not have what you want right now, but keep your eyes on it.

i don't know if it works like ebay or craigslist.
    Old 08-27-2008, 04:45 AM

Hi, Barb, did you find the cams yet? If not I have # 32, 6, 5, 11, 37, 2, 13. that I can sell for $10.00. Just let me know and I'll be happy to find someone that can use them. My first sewing machine was a Fashion mate. I used it for 28 years. Wore out 3 foot pedals and many belts. Was a very nice machine. I gave it to goodwill when I got my Design 1 and should have kept it for back up but didn't have the room. I didn't realize I didn't send the cams with it. I noticed them still in my drawer a few months ago and was thinking I'd save them till I found someone who could use them. Let me know and send me your address, I'll send them to you and if they fit you can send me a check. i'm sure they are what you are looking for. Bernadette
    Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 AM

awesome! they are flat with a little notch out of them. My Touch N Sew cams are raised in the center, like a handle.

I'll pm you my addy. Thanks!!!

Barb
    Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Barb did you get the embroidery disks from someone else. If not I still have them for you. I need an address to send them to you. If they fit then you can send me a check. You can e mail me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you. Thanks, Bernadette Harwood

[email protected]