Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer Heavy Duty >
  • Singer Heavy Duty

• Singer Heavy Duty

Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM

Default Singer Heavy Duty

I am searching for a sewing machine for my MIL. My FIL has given me a budget of around $200 for a good machine for her. She has sewn all her life and is familier but she does a lot of repairing of clothing and heavier material as they all work on a farm. I have spotted the Singer Heavy Duty 4411 at Joann's. Does anyone have this or one similier? I am wondering how it works on thicker material like jeans, corderoy and thicker jackets for minor repairs. Any help is great.

Thanks!
    Teri

http://www.singerco.com/products/2118/4411-heavy-duty
    Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM

I have not heard good things about that particular model, I know the curvy model gets good ratings if you're going with singer, if you FIL is willing to increase his budget a little bit, I know this would fit the bill, its the only higher end machine brother offers online,
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Limite...oject+runway+s
    Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Personally, I'd buy her a good, vintage machine via your local Craigslist. If she does a lot of heavy duty work, she needs an industrial machine or an all metal machine. And in your budget a vintage machine would be perfect. There are plenty of them and you should have your pick. She will not be happy with a plastic machine from a big box type store if she's needing a lot of punching power.
    Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM

The Curvy is the one I looked at first but I was not sure how it would handle the thicker material. ThankS!!
    Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Teri, why don't you check the customer ratings on any site that lists that machine. Amazon, Singer, or JoAnn's come immediately to mind but I bet there are others.

Originally Posted by newquiltmama
    I am searching for a sewing machine for my MIL. My FIL has given me a budget of around $200 for a good machine for her. She has sewn all her life and is familier but she does a lot of repairing of clothing and heavier material as they all work on a farm. I have spotted the Singer Heavy Duty 4411 at Joann's. Does anyone have this or one similier? I am wondering how it works on thicker material like jeans, corderoy and thicker jackets for minor repairs. Any help is great.

Thanks!
    Teri

http://www.singerco.com/products/2118/4411-heavy-duty
    Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
    Power Poster

I would also look for a vintage machine for the work you're describing. But first I would get her opinion, and find out if she already has a vintage machine... or two or three...
    Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Why not ask your MIL what she would like. My first thought was a vintage Singer. Mine is wonderful. It is the 15-91 with most of the attachments. But a neighbor borrowed my great grandmother's singer treadle because he wanted to sew some leather.
    Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM

I was thinking a vintage one, too. My mom's old kenmore is a heavier motor than my newer bernette. I have an older Singer - from the 50s that I use as my go to machine - best work horse around...
    Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Personally, I'd buy her a good, vintage machine via your local Craigslist. If she does a lot of heavy duty work, she needs an industrial machine or an all metal machine. And in your budget a vintage machine would be perfect. There are plenty of them and you should have your pick. She will not be happy with a plastic machine from a big box type store if she's needing a lot of punching power.
    I agree a good oldy is best in this case.
    Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM

I would feel her and him out about getting a vintage machine. Some folks don't like old stuff and may be looking for something more modern that does more stitches. I have 6 vintage machines that I love and they do sew over anything, electric and treadle but a lot of them are straight stitch only and when some of my friends see them, they ask why I would want something old like that. I'm assuming it's a secret so you'll probably have to quietly look around to see what type of sewing she does (decorative stitches?, etc.) The Singer Heavy Duty was made to accommodate heavier fabrics, plus the feed dogs drop and it has a zig zag stitch--I don't have one but that's what the advertisements say...

Last edited by virtualbernie; 09-25-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: to add a little more info