Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer treadle 'reproduction' >
  • Singer treadle 'reproduction'

• Singer treadle 'reproduction'

Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Does anyone have any information on Singer reproductions? I can't find anything online. There's someone in my hometown who has one for $80 and it looks beautiful. She said she paid $400 for it. She also said it was " new condition-never been used." Does Singer make reproductions? Could she have possible meant 'refurbished' instead of 'reproduction'?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-82584.jpe   attachment-82585.jpe   attachment-82586.jpe   attachment-82587.jpe   attachment-82588.jpe  

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Ask Lostin51 or Charlee. They will know.
    Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
    Ask Lostin51 or Charlee. They will know.

Thanks!!!
    Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, Singer still makes treadles. I'm not sure about them tho, altho the photos you show do indicate that this could very well be one of the "new treadles". They're really not a reproduction, since they're being made by the company that owns the rights, and if I'm not mistaken, they never really stopped making them....the market in the US just wasn't good, but they did sell in Asia, and they send a lot of them to Africa and 3rd World countries that have more rustic living conditions without electricity.
    Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
    Pam

These machines can still be purchased through Amish stores as well.
    Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
    Yes, Singer still makes treadles. I'm not sure about them tho, altho the photos you show do indicate that this could very well be one of the "new treadles". They're really not a reproduction, since they're being made by the company that owns the rights, and if I'm not mistaken, they never really stopped making them....the market in the US just wasn't good, but they did sell in Asia, and they send a lot of them to Africa and 3rd World countries that have more rustic living conditions without electricity.
    Charlee is right this is made in China by a company authorized to manufacture the machine for them. The quality is really inferior and I have seen a couple of them and the cabinets are so cheap the drawer fell apart when I pulled it out to look into it. The machine is very cheaply made and the stitch regulator will not stay in one spot it will constantly move on you and you will have to keep adjusting it.

I have heard nothing but bad things about these machines and I can tell you from first hand that I would not have one even if it was given to me.

Billy
    Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM

About 10 or so years ago I saw alot of retailers sell those - 'was tempted to buy one because they looked great - I DO remember they sold for $199 then. I wonder why they aren't making them anymore??
    Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 AM
    Power Poster

I bet for less than 80.00 you could find an antique one if you wanted....mine was only 50.00! But it wasnt in that nice of shape though, but really old.
    Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by Charlee
    Charlee is right this is made in China by a company authorized to manufacture the machine for them. The quality is really inferior and I have seen a couple of them and the cabinets are so cheap the drawer fell apart when I pulled it out to look into it. The machine is very cheaply made and the stitch regulator will not stay in one spot it will constantly move on you and you will have to keep adjusting it.

I have heard nothing but bad things about these machines and I can tell you from first hand that I would not have one even if it was given to me.

Billy
    I was going to say the same thing...bad quality...Buy a real one...
    Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM

I second what everyone has said. You can't beat the quality of an old singer. You could probably find one in very good condition for around $100 or so. I found a beautiful 6 drawer Singer that works wonderfully for $75.