Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sit-down Longarms >
  • Sit-down Longarms

• Sit-down Longarms

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM

I've done both - moved the fabric while the machine stayed stationary (on the Flynn setup) and moved the machine while the fabric stayed stationary (Inspira setup) and I prefer moving the machine. Even though the work area is smaller, I don't have a deal with managing the quilt.

I sold my Inspira some time ago, it just took up too much space. So now I'm looking at getting either a Juki 980Q, or a Jamome 1600P, or an Elna 7100 - all have 9" throats, and the EZ Track Quilting System (http://www.easyquilter.com/index.htm). The set up wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive setup, but it is sit down, and I'm fairly good at FMQ, and the investment is less than $1500 for the machine and the EZ Track. I could handle that.
    Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 AM

at the hampton show i spoke to ernie floyd, the owner of tin lizzie and he told me that he is now producing the machine part of the janome (definitely), and one other major brand. i wish i could tell you which one. my memory is crap. i think it was pfaff.

he himself has introduced a new machine called empress, a long arm, 26" , without the bells and whistles, but digitized.
    his largest market was the no-bells-and-whistles quilter within a certain price, so he's offering it again only with a longer throat. i don't know the price. the cost will be whatever the dealer gives you.

for anyone interested there's a new dealer in trenton, new jersey. the store is called 'above and beyond'.
    Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by clinderdesign
    I have had a Tin Lizzie on a frame and now have the Queen Quilter sit down model. I have to disagree with those you say that quilting on a long arm is much easier than maneuvering a quilt under the needle of a sit down model. If you already quilt on your home sewing machine it is basically the same with the sit down model.
    YEAH!!!! Can you hear me dancing? I just purchased a Queen Quilter 18 Sit down model! I chose the sit-down model due to lack of space. I'm nervous but so excited! It will be here next week! If you have any tips to throw my way....I'm listening! I almost have two quilt tops finished and one completely finished...now I need to get them sandwiched and ready to quilt when the new machine comes! I'm so excited I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
    Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM

I think the standup quilter is easier for some things like keeping the quilt flat etc.

The sit-down quilter IMHO gives you more control. You can turn the quilt whenever you want so that if you can do feathers better in one direction, you can always do them in that direction, etc. You can stitch a long line in one direction.

I have a standup. I'd love to build a sit-down table for it so I could do one or the other depending on how I feel.
    Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Regarding Nolting: they are awesome. I have a circa 80's Gammill, which was actually made by Nolting. I am at least the second owner and as of about a year ago, they still patiently answer my questions. A good company that makes quality machines.