Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • SITD Questions >
  • SITD Questions

• SITD Questions

Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

I have been working on some practice quilt sandwiches. I want to learn to do some of my own machine quilting. I have done some meandering, which needs much practice. I plan to keep working on that. I have also done some SITD, which seems to be much easier. My question is this, how much SITD practice do you all recommend before tackling a small quilt? I have done several individual blocks, and seem to be doing okay. Of course, I get out of the ditch every now and then, but I am getting better. When you all quilt a quilt using SITD, do you add some other quilting or just leave it with the quilting in the seam lines? When you SITD do you just use your regular straight stitch settings and quarter inch foot? I recently bought a new PFAFF machine and I am still not sure when to use the IDT feature. Should I engage the IDT when I SITD?
    I really look forward to the day when I can say I did the WHOLE thing, instead of explaining that someone else did the quilting.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM

I did my very first lap quilt SITD, was new to quilting, no practice, came out nice, if your lines are good do for it.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM

When I use my pfaff to sitd, I engage the idt.

I use the sitd foot. I think it would be hard to do using the 1/4" foot.

As for how much practise, that depends on the user. I make lots of quilts for preemies so I practise on them. The sitd foot makes it easier for me, others will say they don't like it. It's individual reference.

I use the idt for regular piecing,too. I use the idt for everything but some decorative stitches.

When I sitd, sometimes I do other quilting elsewhere, sometimes I just to sitd, it depends on the quilt.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I did my very first lap quilt SITD, was new to quilting, no practice, came out nice, if your lines are good do for it.
    I agree, go for it. Or, if you are unsure about being able to stay "in the ditch", you can use a slightly wavy line crossing back and forth over the ditch. Looks nice, has a similar effect, and doesn't need to be quite as precise.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Just go for it! But I suggest you get a walking foot. The fabrics stay in place much better! I wouldn't do it any other way now.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Pfaff owner here. I ALWAYS use the IDT. My non-IDT feet have gotten very lonely over the past 10 years or so..... I can't tell you when I disengage the IDT and I do quilts and clothes....

As far as STID I use an open toe 9mm foot. I find I have better sight and control and go out of the 'ditch' less. Most of my STID is the only quilting I do, or just add cross stitching if the pattern screams at me :).....
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
    Just go for it! But I suggest you get a walking foot. The fabrics stay in place much better! I wouldn't do it any other way now.
    The IDT is the walking foot on these machines. A regular walking foot will not fit either, the IDT is in the way....
    Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM

I don't have a SITD foot. Should I just use the Standard foot along with the IDT, which serves as a walking foot?
    Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't have a SITD foot either, but have found that my zipper foot works great! Lets me stay right in the ditch where I should be. And clearly see where I am supposed to be stitching. Might give yours a try.