Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric >
  • Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric

• Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    would you pay shipping cost if someone offered to donate fabric?
    I would be willing to pay for shipping.
    Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 AM

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I couldn't sleep last night and thought about all of the sheets I have in my linen closet that are no longer used. As I'm relatively new to quilting, would old sheets work?
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by valerieolm
    Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I couldn't sleep last night and thought about all of the sheets I have in my linen closet that are no longer used. As I'm relatively new to quilting, would old sheets work?
    I think old sheets would be fine for backing.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 AM

You could put a notice in the donations sections of this board.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-18-1.htm
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM

yard sales and estate sales along with craigslist are really good places to buy fabric inexpensively. on craigslist in my area some have been selling fabric at $1-$2 a yard. at an estate sale i recently bought 3-4 yard pieces for $2.00 each.

also for online purchases try www.5bucksayard.com. the fabrics are popular manufacturers (marcus brother, moda, etc) season closeout fabrics and there are a lot for sale at $2.99 - $3.99 per yard. most everything on this site sells for $6.00 or less per yard.

i have some scraps and what i call practice fabric (a bit thin) that i can send you for $5.25 postage. pm me if you are interested. i will stuff what i can in a flat rate legal envelope. if you want i probably could stuff a flat rate box size full for $11.00. i have plenty of tshirt knit fabric that you can make tshirt quilts with. let me know.

mary
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    You could put a notice in the donations sections of this board.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-18-1.htm
    Thank you.
    Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Good Morning Everyone. I am looking for sites where I can order fabric at very reasonable prices or perhaps even get donated. This fabric will be used to make quilts for homeless and needy children. I'm new to buying material on-line, as I normally purchase it at my LQS. Thanks!
    I found this great site for quilting flannels, great variety, lots of colors and prints, patriotic collection, very reasonably priced; plus if you are using the fabric for charity work, they will give you an additional discount. Just call ahead and give them the name of the Charity you are doing the quilting for, and they'll make sure they apply the discount and answer any questions you have. It has to be worth a look and a phone call. Here's the web address:

https://www.picotextiles.com/index.php]https://www.picotextiles.com/index.php[/url]

Warmest Regards,
    Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    Good Morning Everyone. I am looking for sites where I can order fabric at very reasonable prices or perhaps even get donated. This fabric will be used to make quilts for homeless and needy children. I'm new to buying material on-line, as I normally purchase it at my LQS. Thanks!
    I found this great site for quilting flannels, great variety, lots of colors and prints, patriotic collection, very reasonably priced; plus if you are using the fabric for charity work, they will give you an additional discount. Just call ahead and give them the name of the Charity you are doing the quilting for, and they'll make sure they apply the discount and answer any questions you have. It has to be worth a look and a phone call. Here's the web address:

https://www.picotextiles.com/index.php]https://www.picotextiles.com/index.php[/url]

Warmest Regards,
    Thank you so much. I will contact them asap. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I moved my daughter to her university and have been out of town for several days.
    Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 AM

No apology necessary. We all have a life beyond quilting. We don't expect our members to be chained to their computers on a 24/7 basis. Where is your daughter going to University? Good for her!
    Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 AM

Don't forget pillowcases! Here are two pairs that I bought for under £1 for both:

When unpicked you get 2 yards of 70" wide fabric :shock: Each one is 18" wide, and I got 14 yep 14 yards of binding from just one.

There is no reason why you can't use them for quilts, front and back, I use bedding, poly or cotton, a lot for my Project Linus quilts as the material is designed and manufactured for laundering and with kiddiwinks quilts they do get a lot more washing than others.

Ask all your friends etc; to go through their linen cupboards for any spare pillowcases and sheets, you might get a lovely surprise.

BTW do make sure that they are in good condition as worn or pilled sheets are not worth using, best of luck.