Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Six-Hour Quilts..... >
  • Six-Hour Quilts.....

• Six-Hour Quilts.....

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Bo but if they come up with a way, I'm there. Usually on this size, I sew the binding on one side, then put my clips on it ans sit and watch a little tv, and then Wahlah..alldone. Not too long at all. Thanks for more pictures. I love these easy to do, but not in 6-hour quilts. :)
    P.S. All of mine are reversible. Front and back are the same. I have always made sure to have enough to do it that way. Now I am thinking, good idea, make the back a one piece different fabric . Great idea.
    Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JADE D
    O.K. 6 hours to make the quilt but how long to bind it?
    Anybody have any ideas about a quick way to bind?
    First, square up the quilt! Trim slivers off all the edges to get an clean easy surface to work with. Trust me, this is important.

Is the quilt for a kid? A wall hanging? A big bed?

I sew the binding for a kids quilt entirely by machine because it will get washed often and the kids don't care how it is sewed. First you sew the binding to the back.
    making it wider than the front will be by 1/8 inch. Turn it and topstitch it down very close to the edge. The bottom thread stitches should be in the binding fabric. In fact I usually stitch around a kids quilt twice for durability.
    Try this with a "6 hour quilt" ! It is the fastest.

If the wall hanging is a work of art, and otherwise all hand stitched, I stitch the binding to the back with a running stitch, then turn and stitch the front side of the binding carefull to get it even width, using a ladder or invisble stitch....and mitering the corners.

For any other wall hanging or bed sized quilt, the traditional way to put the binding on is to machine sew the binding to the front of the quilt. Then turn the binding over the stitching and having the fold inside, sew the binding to the back - following the line of machine stitches that you will see. Just try to barely cover them. Use ladder or invisible stitches. Either fold the corners square or miter them - it is your choice. It is surprising how quickly the binding gets stiched down handsewing just the one side.

Hope this helps! Ask if you want to know more! Jeannie
    Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    First, square up the quilt! Trim slivers off all the edges to get an clean easy surface to work with. Trust me, this is important.

Is the quilt for a kid? A wall hanging? A big bed?

I sew the binding for a kids quilt entirely by machine because it will get washed often and the kids don't care how it is sewed. First you sew the binding to the back.
    making it wider than the front will be by 1/8 inch. Turn it and topstitch it down very close to the edge. The bottom thread stitches should be in the binding fabric. In fact I usually stitch around a kids quilt twice for durability.
    Try this with a "6 hour quilt" ! It is the fastest.

If the wall hanging is a work of art, and otherwise all hand stitched, I stitch the binding to the back with a running stitch, then turn and stitch the front side of the binding carefull to get it even width, using a ladder or invisble stitch....and mitering the corners.

For any other wall hanging or bed sized quilt, the traditional way to put the binding on is to machine sew the binding to the front of the quilt. Then turn the binding over the stitching and having the fold inside, sew the binding to the back - following the line of machine stitches that you will see. Just try to barely cover them. Use ladder or invisible stitches. Either fold the corners square or miter them - it is your choice. It is surprising how quickly the binding gets stiched down handsewing just the one side.

Hope this helps! Ask if you want to know more! Jeannie
    Thank you. I was wondering if the 'fun and done' technique would work. It would eliminate the hand sewing of the binding.
    Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Dear Jade,
    If you want to sew your bindings on the machine by all means do it, because you are right, this is supposed to be fun!
    To make it easier remember to trim your quilt edges to be straight before you begin to bind it. The rough edges of an untrimmed quilt may not look like trouble, but the dips and itty bitty uneven edges, can keep the binding from laying flat while you are sewing it.
    Some machines come with a curly little binding foot that is ever so easy to use. You just thread the binding through it and sew! It sews the front and back at the same time!
    When you get around to the starting end, you just cut the binding to overlap about a half inch, fold it under and stitch a bit past the joint.
    The nice part of using this foot is that you just sew around the quilt once!
    But! wait....practice first! make some potholders or mug rugs....or even some placemats!
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 AM

The "fastest" way is to just serge the final edge with a close stitch. Other than that, I go to the bias tape section of the notions department and find that quilt binding -- it's cotton, the same fabric as bias tape; it's folded and ready to apply. The fold is not exactly in half -- with the wider part for the back of the quilt. Pin in place, and then stitch on the top side of the quilt. Done. You can either miter the corners or do each side separately -- which I find easier.
    Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    a bit of trivia....

many years ago I was the guest on Kaye Woods PBS TV show and the project was for her to teach me how to do the "6 Hour Quilt". It is my recollection that one can indeed do it if there are no interruptions during the process and you know exactly what is to be done and how to do it. You can't spend time answering the phone or taking care of other personal needs when the clock starts and the serger works perfectly. One would most likely need to have all the strips cut and work space in order before starting and might be able to work up to the 6 hour time frame. It is a really neat and easy quilt to do.
    It's a little like my "Quick-n-Easy, No Piecing" crib quilt I make. I had to time it one time for volunteer hours for the hospital where I donated them. . I did it completely in 3 hours which was really conservative on time. Four hours would have been better.
    So......it's like anything we do - the more we do the better and faster we become. BTW. That year I was able to do 100 for the hospital.
    Does it have to be done on a serger? I only have regular sewing machine.
    Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM

You know saying you canNOT do it in 6 hours is actually encouraging to me. My first mytery quillt I decided to make queen size. I thought I was to make the entire top in the one day of they mystery. It was a long time before I found out while I skipped lunch & potty breaks others were just learning each step and then visiting till the next step was revealed. This is such important info for beginners and others who just sew slowly and carefully.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Never know what one will learn on the board. Thank you so much for being here and sharing so much good info & mostly the encouragement
    Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM

I do mine on a regular sewing machine. Sergers are just a plus. Have fun.
    Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 AM

I would have to agree with you on this.. I have to sit and look at it before I sew it all together just to make up my mind that is how I really want it... It usually stays pinned to my design wall for a couple weeks just so I can make up my mind.. LOL
    Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM

I know this is an old post but I would love to see the front and back of one of these 6 hr quilts to see how the back is finished.