Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Size of  "Big Rig" bunk????? >
  • Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

• Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Some states have new laws that require (this is stupid) that their beds have matching blankets and sheets. My Dad is a long haul driver and he got a ticket by the DOT for not having it all matching. How crazy is that??
    Are you serious? What state was that?

I can about imagine what my DH would have to say about that!
    I'm totally serious!! I don't remember what state he was in but he had no idea about the law until he got the ticket. He had to run to WM and get matching bed set.
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
    Power Poster

Some states have new laws that require (this is stupid) that their beds have matching blankets and sheets. My Dad is a long haul driver and he got a ticket by the DOT for not having it all matching. How crazy is that??
    How stupid! Did voters vote for this or did some whinnybutt wanted to to get this law passed? Who on earth will see a trucker's bed? With the mess many states are in it shows just what the politicians have on their list of priorities. This is where government goes too far. I would love to know what states these are. I have some emails to fire off. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    How stupid! Did voters vote for this or did some whinnybutt wanted to to get this law passed? Who on earth will see a trucker's bed? With the mess many states are in it shows just what the politicians have on their list of priorities. This is where government goes too far. I would love to know what states these are. I have some emails to fire off. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    It was some NITWIT that had nothing else to do, I guess. My Dad travels all over the US so I have no idea where it was. I couldn't believe it when he told us.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:00 PM

https://www.sheetsusa.com/]https://www.sheetsusa.com/[/url]

This might help.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM

when my husband first started driving he could only have white sheets and pillowcases to match now he uses sleeping bags or quilts most of the time he has a doublebunk which seems to be like a queen only a little longer
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Could you ask your dad if he knows what states this was in? I am curious because we do not have matching bedding, everyone brings their own, I think a queen size would be great, he could roll up in it or cover his head like was suggested before. I usually took a stocking cap along after my husband suggested it.
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 AM

This is off-the-charts crazy! We all need sober, awake drivers on the road and police watching for that....not being the fashion police. My bedcovers don't match since I use multiple quilts that I love....but not in the same colors. May I please teach your child having slept last night in a mismatched bed or is that going to be a problem???????
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Can you ask what size the mattress is? I think it may vary from cab to cab.

When DH had the truck, it had an x-long twin mattress.

Is your BFF thin or round? If thin, maybe only 54 inches wide by about 90 inches long. The extra length to tuck in or to pull over his head if it's really cold.

Don't make it any wider than necessary, because those bunks are really hard to make up nicely.
    I'm trying to not ask anything, since his 50th birthday is Jan 13th and I'd like it to be a surprise...so I asked you guys instead! He's a pretty slender 5'8" so I'm going to make it extra long and put 60" fleece on the back for extra snuggliness. I may also put batting inside for extra warmth. His rig is red, and we met in high school where the school colors were red and black, so a red, black and white color scheme is just a natural. I'm thinking of an oversized Friendship Star.....with maybe 33 stars for 33 years of friendship and then a couple of something else to round it out to 5 x 7 blocks with a border. Any other ideas?
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 AM
    Power Poster

If it wouldn't mess up the color scheme too much, use tan or gray instead of white.

Depending on what he was hauling and the schedule he had to keep, sometimes DH would just flop on top of the bunk - not get between the sheets. (Actually, sometimes he just took a nap with his head over the wheel - stopped first, of course) :?
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 AM

my boyfriend is an over the road trucker also. I made him extra long twin with wool batting, it still wasn't warm enough. So I broke down and bought him one of those man made fiber blankets,almost like a velor, it feels nice in your fingers, 14.99 in JC Penny outlet. I got him beigh, he puts the beautiful wool quilt on top. Also, Tom can idle his engine when it is really cold.