Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Size of  "Big Rig" bunk????? >
  • Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

• Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Most bunks are the same size as what they call a college size twin. The matress is longer then a standard twin. I would make the quilt 75" wide by 100" if he likes to fold over the quilt when he makes the bed. This is the size my hubby had me make for him. He is 5'5 and 145 lbs, , but would accomadate me also if I was on the truck. Tho I would prefer 80" wide , cause we steal covers from each other.
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I will see my Dad tonight and if I don't forget I will ask him.
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Some states have new laws that require (this is stupid) that their beds have matching blankets and sheets. My Dad is a long haul driver and he got a ticket by the DOT for not having it all matching. How crazy is that??
    Are you serious? What state was that?

I can about imagine what my DH would have to say about that!
    I'm totally serious!! I don't remember what state he was in but he had no idea about the law until he got the ticket. He had to run to WM and get matching bed set.
    I sure hope the state was NOT Wyoming! I would hate to think our reps go to Cheyenne to think up laws that stupid!
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I tried to look it up on the DOT site but only could stuff about alcohol and drugs.
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Some states have new laws that require (this is stupid) that their beds have matching blankets and sheets. My Dad is a long haul driver and he got a ticket by the DOT for not having it all matching. How crazy is that??
    That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. I bet lots of people don't even have matching sheets and blankets at home. Who even cares? It's not exactly a functional or safety issue :roll:
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM

When I was an over the road driver I always used a queen size quilt to keep warm. The extra width allows you to snuggle in and bunch the sides around you and keep warmer. When not in use I would roll the back of it up against the back of the bunk like a bolster pillow. They also make 12 volt pads that are heated that you put under your sheet and sleep on top of they do not make much of a drain on your battery.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM

that is one on the stupidest laws I've ever heard of! I mean really? Gonna watch this topic so I can find out what states!
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

I called the safety director where DH used to work - he'd never heard of it! (Minnesota)
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Well if someone got a ticket for sheets and bedding not matching, I would file suit. There is no law over such a thing. Be it a Federal D.O.T. or a local or State D.O.T. law over such things. It is MOST likely a JOKE or a JERK in a D.O.T uniform who needs to find a new job!!My in-law who just retired was a U.S Marshall out of Spokane, and the man who does goes into trucking comapnies to go over all their drivers logs and paperwork. He Had to disqualify himself From doing,while we were employed, at T.W.T and SySTEMS when asked if he was related to Hubby and me. Dick says there is no such FEDERAL LAW and would be no reason for a local or State Law because there is no merit or justification that could ever stand up in court, besides being a violation of a driver's rights at minimum!! He had obviously been sited for something else or you need to tell them to report that person and send him packing from that job. Does not belong in uniform, representing the law of any kind.
    Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

There was something in the D.O.T. handbook about 2 people of the same sex occupying the same bunk at the same time. No one enforeces that and that is why they have double bunks in the trucks. However I know lots of same sex couples who are on trucks who have a single bunk. And I have seen owner ops and drivers from certain companies (not american) who have 3 and 4 guys on trucks in a single bunk doing cross country. The weigh scales and D.O.T. don't even bother , nor even want to inspect them, and wave them thru, so they don't have to crawl under those trucks to inspect them. Tho I know the reasons why, it is not fair to other drivers. Any way have appt. got to go.