Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sizzix Big Shot Pro and Big Shot Pro Westminster >
  • Sizzix Big Shot Pro and Big Shot Pro Westminster

• Sizzix Big Shot Pro and Big Shot Pro Westminster

Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 PM

The little one is called the Big Shot. No pro. The Big Shot Pro is only the big one. Believe me, I go to a board where there is a big huge focus on the Big Shot and the small one is not the Pro and anyway, why would she compare the 6" Big Shot to the full size Go? Of course the small one is cheaper-it doesn't cut nearly as much as the Go does.

If you go to sizzix.com's machines page I guarantee you that the smaller Big Shot is just called the Big Shot (or the Big Kick in some places, or the Big Shot Express for the electric one) and any with the word Pro in the name is the 13" one. And I know you can't find the big one for $100 but the previous poster said she could so I would love to know where.
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I have been researching these machines and I wanted to share what I learned because when I did a search for Sizzix on this board I didn't find that much about it...
    not sure how you missed all of MY talks on these machines, but if you PM me I can give the scoop from first hand experience!

I see most of MY comments were made on a classified thread called ISO: Accuquilt GO....or for sale, accuquilt go baby( as I have one for sale)

and for more info you can always check them out at
    http://www.checkerdist.com

I have been using Ellison/Sizzix cutters and dies for quilting for over 10 years now! They have been in the biz for nearly 30+ years!
    Remember the school and church bulletin boards and all those letters and shapes, cut on Ellison machines...they are still the world's #1 company in schools and churches...

you will never find a big shot pro for $100 that is less 1/2 of my wholesale cost! The big shot pro is the accuquilt equivalent to the studio for less than 1/2 the cost with 10 times the versatility due to the fact you can use ALL makers dies on them!

I cuts with the greatest of ease using only 1 hand, no need to use your other hand to hold it steady like the GO cutter!

I could go on and on, but let me know how much of the real facts you want!

PS, I use mine to cut everything from paper, to metal, to ultrasuede...
    Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM

One handed, eh? That sounds promising. I don't mind holding the Go but it bugs me that it's not very wide. I do have to hold my regular size Big Shot down but it's not a heavy machine.
    Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
    Banned

I was amazed at the ease that the BSpro cranked and the amount of fabric it could handle!
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Folks,
    Sorry, I didn't mean to add the word "pro" there in my last post referring to the little one...I have the Big Shot Pro Blue...and added the Extended Tray and Extended Accessories to it...the purple one comes with the extended but since I got a great deal on the blue I bought it, gently used, and added the other stuff...for the price of the purple, or therabouts, I ended up with both the trays,etc...and definitely you can't get this machine for $100...I love, love, love how this cuts...
    Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Well just caught up with this chaqt, you are right the small machine is called the Big Shot and it is like the Accuquilt Baby GO!.
    The Quilters version is the Big Shot Pro - Purple machine.
    The BSP is not as large as the Studio machine from accucut it takes about 80% of these dies - not the jumbo ones. It can take all the Accuquilt dies, of course it takes the ones that are designed for it best -- the Sizzix Quilters dies.
    It is easy to crank the handle -- much heavier that the Accuquilt so it is sturdy and much stronger.

The accuquilt folds up and is convenient for occasional use - it does not like too much pressure, so four layers maximum.
    For the price you get a great deal more for your buck with the Big Shot Pro Quilters machine.
    The Big Shot Pro quilters - has a five year warranty and I have not heard of anyone saying the handle jams like the accuquilt machine does.

So it is up to the individual to decide. No one will buy a great reliable machine like this BSP Quilters Fabric cutter for
    a silly low price --- you get what you pay for, if it is too cheap then there is something wrong.
    I know the store in Canada has a Valentine's Day sale on at present for the BSP so go have a look if you live in Canada - prices for the quilters machine are better than most places in the States- worth the look.
    www.stitchintheditch.com
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
    Folks,
    Sorry, I didn't mean to add the word "pro" there in my last post referring to the little one...I have the Big Shot Pro Blue...and added the Extended Tray and Extended Accessories to it...the purple one comes with the extended but since I got a great deal on the blue I bought it, gently used, and added the other stuff...for the price of the purple, or therabouts, I ended up with both the trays,etc...and definitely you can't get this machine for $100...I love, love, love how this cuts...
    No biggie as far as I'm concerned TellaBella..:) if anyone wants to see this machine go over to the places that have been mentioned here on this post... it's an awesome machine. In fact, I bought one (the Westminster/Sizzix Big Shot Pro) based on what I had read from your research. So THANK YOU!! :thumbup: With all the dies that I'm aquiring from both places (Sizzix and Accuquilt), plus my other Sizzix Dies, I'm having a blast! This to me was the best purchase so far as I can use all my other dies on it too! Also, it was in my budget. :)
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I just wanted to correct a couple of statements:

1) The AccuQuilt Studio ALSO accepts dies from Ellison & Sizzix, and

2) The Studio can also cut paper, metal, felt, ultrasuede, leather, etc.

The Studio is also 2-1/2" wider than the BSP, which means it takes a wider selection of dies. Custom dies can also be made for the Studio (just as Ellison will make custom dies for BSP.)

So I don't think "10 times the versatility" is really an accurate statement; there are pros & cons to each machine.

For someone who has a lot invested already in Sizzix, and is really more into multimedia crafting, the BSP is still a good choice, so I'm not knocking it, I just wouldn't want anyone to eliminate the Studio on the basis of inaccurate information.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

you will never find a big shot pro for $100 that is less 1/2 of my wholesale cost! The big shot pro is the accuquilt equivalent to the studio for less than 1/2 the cost with 10 times the versatility due to the fact you can use ALL makers dies on them!

PS, I use mine to cut everything from paper, to metal, to ultrasuede...
    Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Oh... also the AccuQuilt Studio has a lifetime warranty vs. 5 years for BSP. Only the GO! and GO! Baby have 1 year warranties.
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM

The studio can only be bought from Accuquilt that is a problem.
    The studio dies can only be bought from Accuquilt another problem.
    As a quilter I want to have options, I am also into applique.
    so for me the Big Shot Pro Quilters Machine from Sizzix is a good way to go.
    I do not want the extra size of the studio it is too bulky and big for private use -- the quilt store even has problems finding a place for theirs, if I need the jumbo dies that studio have I can go to the store - only problem they do not carry many of the dies --- just what suits them for cutting for the store, which means they do not bother with the jumbo.
    Remember Big Shot Pro will take 80% of the Studio dies - but then we are restricted to buying from accuquilt only! so that does not suit.

I like to have the option of using whatever company I choose, I feel that Accuquilt are dictating with their GO! machines -- they want to control the market, they enjoy controlling the market with the Studio - and by this I mean they do not allow anyone to sell them other than themselves - realize they make more money that way , but it is control and that does not draw me to a company.

The Big Shot Pro is not the big industrial machine that the Studio is suppose to be.
    The big shot pro is more in comparison with the Accuquilt GO! machine - and comparing apples with apples you get a heck of a lot more for your buck with the BSP.
    BSP has a 5 year warranty -- we do not hear of handles jamming with this machine as we do with the GO! which has one year warranty.
    I can use so many dies with the BSP - I am restricted to the GO! dies with my Accuquilt machine.
    So bang for your buck it goes without question.

i have not looked at other industrial machines to do a comparison with the studio and that is because I am not interested, I use the machine for my one benefit - I do not cut for others or sell my work, if I had a business I would then have to look at bigger machines although I feel the BSP could easily handle a large amount of work - unlike the GO!
    The GO! is great for carrying around as it is light weight - it is a problem having it so lightweight when cutting as it moves all over the place.
    The GO! is great for someone in a small apartment - it packs away, if you quilt a few times a year then the GO! is fine, if you love to quilt and play then go for the BSP Quilters version.
    Ebony - know you love your Accuquilt products and I think that is great - we love to watch your videos on the accuquilt products -- and indeed the same videos we use for guidance on the BSP - but I am not involved with either companies and do not need to support just one, which is why I feel it is good to let everyone have an honest opinion on all the machines.
    there is a place for them all, but comparing the two fabric cutters and using both of them -- I feel my opinion carries some weight.