Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Skills challenge at retreat >
  • Skills challenge at retreat

• Skills challenge at retreat

Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Skills challenge at retreat

Hello all, hoping you quilters can help me out - I'm looking for ideas for a small activity of a "skills challenge" nature for a retreat. I have a few other activities lined up and I would like to include something of a skills challenge nature.
    Ideas?
    Nothing is too out there to suggest!
    Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM
    Power Poster

Before I put a skills challenge in place at a retreat, I would really seriously ask myself ......
    ... Might a skills challenge this hurt the feelings of some? cause some to feel inadequate?
    humiliated? embarrassed? intimidated? etc.
    I would fear that it may set the stage for a not so friendly retreat.

Some ideas, but they may not be at all what you are looking for
    ..... definitely not way out there as you hinted!

Real Simple .... give the pieces to make a nine patch and see the variation in finished sizes that result!
    They can then be put together as a quilt.
    Four patches work better, as you can trim them to the smallest size and all will fit together in the end.

Harder .... pick a block and give them what they need to make the block.
    Could even give the pieces with no pattern and see the different blocks that result.
    Or the different placement of fabrics for the same block.

Could time people on doing specific skills?

How about a team effort .... so that no one person is singled out?
    Everyone in each team has to do one of the things.
    They don't know what is coming up, so while they can pick and choose as it is assigned,
    the best for each person cannot be planned.
    Some laughs can be had in the end. Though again, I fear there could be hurt feelings.
    Old 02-11-2019, 06:12 PM
    Power Poster

​Do you mean a hand piecing activity like hexagons? We did a quiz once that tested our knowledge of quilt patterns and won a fat quarter.
    Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM

When I go to retreat I find too many games and activities a distraction--we have discounts to several LQS, so there are visits to shop and one retreat participant has a relative that will open her shop up after hours for a post dinner trip. Plus we have a massage therapist there we can choose to pay for a massage--Big Hit! And since we go to a camp, there is a chance to take a walk, etc. Guess my point is that when I'm sewing I want to be working on my own projects. Once we each did a maple leaf block (materials provided) and the organizer then made it into a quilt for charity from us all.
    I do like when a participant gives a very short (5-10 min) update on a tool or method.
    Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 PM

I pick up that you are really excited about doing a skills challenge and must have some idea in mind but are open to suggestions from others. I am not a particularly competitive person so would feel intimidated. However I do like learning something new or new way or doing an old thing. Perhaps if we knew what you had in mind that would open up more suggestions as to skills challenge.
    Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Hmmm. I don’t feel very “skilled” in techniques, nor am I particularly fast at making blocks. So I would feel intimidated about participating. I’ve never been to a quilting retreat, but I know from classes that I’m easily distracted by all the friendly chatter and sometimes feel “all thumbs” if being watched. So maybe make a skills challenge optional?
    Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM
    Power Poster

A simple paper piecing project would be fun. It's easy to learn how to paper piece once you see it in person. It's not your responsibility to cater to those that feel it is out of their comfort zone. Those that do want to try will learn how to do it or learn they don't like it. A retreat is more for fellowship to most that go not leave me alone I'm sewing.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-11-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 AM

A pincushion would be fun for all to make. It could be a skill challenge on color. Using a table of scrap fabrics, pick your favorite colors and make a scrappy block...strip piece, or paper piece or easy 4 patch block. (quilter's choice for style of pincushion...round or square, etc. (stuffing could be provided )
    Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 AM

How about a cute zippered pouch. There are some who are timid of sewing with zippers, including myself. There are usually a few free patterns on the Noodlehead website as well as others.
    Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 AM

How about a variation on what was suggested above. A table of true scraps and the challenge is to make a 12.5 block that uses (Blank) number of fabrics or (blank) number of pieces.. End result, a donation quilt of many colors and different blocks. A variation would be the colors are all monochromatic and one contrasting color.

Honestly, personally I would avoid this kind of activity at a retreat because I come ready to work on my own projects. I would move this kind of skill challenge to a guild activity that could be completed over a month or two. Each guild and retreat has a "personality" so, honor your guild's personality and have a wonderful time with all your quilty friends.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-12-2019 at 04:11 AM.