Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Skipping stitches on back (hand quilting) >
  • Skipping stitches on back (hand quilting)

• Skipping stitches on back (hand quilting)

Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Skipping stitches on back (hand quilting)

Hi all! I am brand new here and have never posted a question to a thread in a forum in my life! There's got to be a first time for everything, right?!? Hope I'm doing this right ...

So here's my question: I am working on my very first quilt (machine pieced, Warm & Natural batting, Kona cotton backing). I thread basted the sandwich and am now in the process of hand quilting it. I am using Gutermann hand quilting thread and a size 12 needle (I think it's a John James but not sure). I am able to get pretty even, tiny stitches (anywhere between 8 and 10 per inch) but every now and then I miss a stitch on the back (meaning my stitches go through either just the pieced top or the top and batting but not the backing fabric).

Is there something I can do to regulate this or to ensure that my stitches pass entirely through the quilt sandwich without my having to constantly turn the quilt over to check? I am able to quilt with and without a hoop and I have had this problem while using the hoop and without. Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you all in advance,

Erin
    Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM

I use a thimble on both hands and when I poke the needle through I hit that bottom thimble so I know I went all the way through. If I don't do this I get missed stitches as well. Hth, Gina
    Also, welcome to the boards!
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
    Power Poster

I quilt with my right hand and have my left hand under the quilt. I rock my needle making sure I feel the point come through. I just prick the finger underneath and try not to donate any skin to my hand quilting. Some people paint their underneath finger with New Skin but I go without and stop when my finger gets sore.
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM
    Power Poster

I put my other hand underneath and feel for the needle. I still get them from time to time, but not as much as I used to.
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Practice - Practice - Practice!!! Maybe you should concentrate on the correct stitch - front and back - than the "stitches per inch". That will come with more experience, I am sure. HTH
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM

I keep the middle finger of my left hand up against the underside of the quilt and rock with my right hand. I insert the needle at a 90 degree angle and once I feel the little prick of the needle against the underside finger, I know to rock back up to take another stitch. Over time, you develop a callus on the finger to protect it.
    Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Madriver
    I keep the middle finger of my left hand up against the underside of the quilt and rock with my right hand. I insert the needle at a 90 degree angle and once I feel the little prick of the needle against the underside finger, I know to rock back up to take another stitch. Over time, you develop a callus on the finger to protect it.

I do the same thing. I tried using a thimble on my left (underside) hand but I have to feel the needle come through.
    Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Hi Erin, welcome from NE Ohio.
    Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM

I took a class for the two thimble quilting - it was wonderful - don't have to hold the needle just rock it in and out by bouncing it off the underneath thimble. Need to take that class again now that I have the time to do some hand quilting.
    Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM

I just lightly prick the finger undederneath..after a while I don't feel it LOL