Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Slow slow or run and go?? >
  • Slow slow or run and go??

• Slow slow or run and go??

Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM
    Power Poster

i'm of the pretty close is close enough... but that's only since my accuracy has increased... in the beginning, i did a lot of unsewing
    Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM

I like them both ways. It depends on the project I am working on. I just finished a circular bargello. Accuracy is a major key to getting this one to lay flat. Others are just fun to throw together no matter how they turn out. The quilting will hide all those flaws.
    Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
    Power Poster

I sew on the go! I don't really care about points, What are they? If I get close, I'm happy! I do know that as I have progressed over the years, good piecing comes easier and makes sewing more pleasant. But I have never suffered over crooked quilting.
    peace
    Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Wow, great minds think alike, right?? I was sitting at my sewing machine earlier today making a patchwork tote bag and thought what a good topic it would make to see who was a marathon quilter (slow and steady wins the race) or a sprinter (go all hell bent for leather and get 'er done quick!). I get on my computer this evening and see your thread. We must have been on the same wave-length today!

Anyway, I am actually somewhere in the middle. I don't do the pedal to the metal thing, but I also am not a perfectionist. I don't sew as fast as the ladies (and gents) I watch on quilting videos, I do like to take it a bit slower and have more control. And if I make a mistake that is glaring enough or bothers me enough, I'll certainly take the time to fix it. But it if doesn't interfere with the quilt pattern or is barely noticeable, I leave it. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and it's mostly all small stuff.
    Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM

I do my best with any project I start. That being said, a lot can be said for both the slow pot roast and the drive thru burger.
    Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM

I could care less about achieving perfection, an unobtainable goal, but I'm obsessive about striving for excellence. Accuracy trumps speed in my studio, I'd have it no other way.
    Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
    Power Poster

Once you take 5 minutes to mark the seam allowance on your machine with a piece of tape, it takes the same amount of time to sew the right seam allowance as the wrong one. If you sew it accurately, you have less time spent with the seam ripper so for me the project goes quicker overall.
    Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chooklady
    Hello everyone, I love a debate so here goes!

Do you prefer a slow pot roast of a project and get the seams millimetre perfect??

Or do you prefer the 'sew on the go' approach and don't mind if they are a bit off because "I like the design so that's what I am sticking too and perfection 'aint my bag"??
    I do "plus or minus" sewing. And cooking
    Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 PM

I start each new project determined to slow down and get it right. I'm fine until I start making mistakes (sewing wrong side to right side, etc.). Those first few problems I'll rip out and fix, of course there are some I MUST fix! At some point when the "quilt in a day" has turned into two months, I put the pedal to the medal and get er done. I'm a new quilter and learning, so each project has it's share of "learning curve" and rookie mistakes. Once I hit that frustration point, I take a break and then when I go back to it, I just go for it and do the best I can and vow to get the NEXT one "perfect".......and I don't stress about it. After all, it's not my job, it's my hobby and it is supposed to be FUN!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM

I am sew on the go with a side of potluck. I see so many new ideas that I just have to try so I tend to have a lot of projects on the go. I am learning that its okay to work on somethings bit by bit as leaders and enders and eventually they will get done.