Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • slump >
  • slump

• slump

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Yes, I hit my slump about October. I know exactly what caused it. I spent a long weekend finishing up a couple QOV tops, pieced the backs, bound 5 quilts from the LA.

Hubby pops in to see what I'm doing since he hasn't seen much of me over the weekend. I show him what I've accomplished..which I'm quite proud of myself. And he grunts and nods. I'm like hey don't you like them? (silly me, not the question to ask this man-I know this, why do I set myself up? He thinks quilting is not a very efficient use of time.) He says, "It's all production sewing, nothing orginal, nothing that improves yourself"

So I told him, "It's quilting, what do you expect? These are very popular patterns." He liked my science quilt but that's about it. I finished a periodic table quilt also, and he almost like it but had to critique it-you should have
    used grey here and did something chemistry in the backgroud... I'm not a fabric designer! I do what I can with what's available and I know he'd have a fit if I
    went to spoonflower and designed something and paid $18 a yard for it.

"Ok, you can go back upstairs again because I have more production sewing to finish. You just annoyed me. Go! now! up!"

And sadly, I haven't really gotten back into the swing. I start to do something then lose interest. So I'll be reading all these posts to get my quilting mo-jo back too.
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by lisainmo
    We all are there at some time...I guess I could make a trip to MA and kick your butt if that would help...LOL
    If it doesn't work from Lisa, I'll give it a shot. :lol:
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
    I'll be watching for suggestions. I've got the slump. The most I get accomplished is reading the QB and wishing, I could do what they are doing.
    Must be the time of year. I finished the backpack and haven't sewn one stitch and I have a quilt in the piecing stage that needs to be finished in one month.

Guess I could use a good swift kick.
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM

My hubby will notice if I haven't done anything for a few days and then remind me how much money I've spent on maxhines and fabric. Lol. He knows I hate wasting things and ut always works. So GIT-R-DUN! Lol
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM

It is probably SAD,(seasonal affective disorder) caused by lack of sunshine. It is especially prevalent in Northern climates where sunshine is limited during the winter months. Try to get outside for at least 20 minutes/day. If it persists talk to your physician.
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM

When I get in a slump actually getting up and starting to sew something works for me. Someone mentioned this already, but it really does work. Then I wonder why I had hadn't been doing this all along, but I guess we all need breaks even from things we really enjoy.
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM

My problem is this stinkin computer lol.
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
    saf

Felt the same until a month ago. Always very depressed in the winter. Then went around the garden and noticed that the daffodils finally breaking out . A seed catalogue arrived - sunshine certainly shows up all the dust - suddenly I wanted to get out of bed - sew - see friends - sew some more :lol: :lol: :lol: Remember, this too shall pass - even when you think that it won't!
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 AM

See David this is normal most of us have been there ourselves :-P I don’t think there is anything wrong with stepping back from a project if you aren’t fired up. When this happens to me I find that telling myself I’m not going to work on my project (instead tidy up sewing room, housework, spend time doing something different) and that I’m just going to go ‘look’ at my project, admire the blocks, handle them and then I can leave the room. Most times this is just enough to peak my interest again and before I know it I’m sewing away again. I wouldn’t worry about it because this is a passion for you, for all of us – we won’t stop making quilts. Sometimes other things need our attention too and that’s OK :-P
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah brain block, stress,just being tired of working on the same piece every can get you down. Thats why i try and do on a top and the afternoon i hand quilt. but this works for me.