Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Small Scraps >
  • Small Scraps

• Small Scraps

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 PM

oohhh. Love this strippy look. Such dimensions with the strips going both directions!
    Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by booklady
    oohhh. Love this strippy look. Such dimensions with the strips going both directions!
    any directions for making this quilt ? sure would appreciate pattern
    Old 11-22-2013, 07:11 AM

I love small scraps and making crumb quilts. Makes me feel like I am really saving the earth The really unusable scraps I use for animal beds for the local shelter. Sorry, technically incompetent to post pictures of crumbs quilts I have made.
    Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM

I'm a scrapaholic! If I can get an 1/8" seam in it, I keep it. But it has to be really outstanding colors to do that. So a 1/2 inch strip will put 1/4" of a beautiful bright red into a strip quilt. I've made several confetti quilts using trash fabric strips as foundations. You really need a foundation to sew with such small pieces or it gets wonky fast. I use old "used up" bed sheets (the well worn sections), old bed skirts and such. Sometimes I sew a bunch of small strips together and then add to larger strips, log cabins, Freedom Quilts.

I spread a bunch of scraps on my big dinning table and just grab at random (or not) to add strips and pieces.

The only thing that goes into cat pillows is the "lint".
    Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 AM

I used to toss the tiny ones, but then I saw a gorgeous scrap quilt someone posted on QB. I actually pulled small scraps out of the waste basket, added them to my scraps and started making blocks. I also swapped buttons for more scraps with another QBer . I have now completed 54 VERY scrappy blocks and am almost ready to start the sashing. I use almost any size down to an inch square(ish). Warning -- it's addictive! I will post the top when it's done.
    Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM

good ideas!!!!
    Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Just about what I do. However, you gave me some great ideas. Love what you have done.
    Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by joym
    any directions for making this quilt ? sure would appreciate pattern
    JoyM I found the instructions for this quilt in an old book. I had to order if off ebay. Its is called String Quilts and its by Elsie Campbell.
    Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

you should keep the size scraps you will use- then pass on the rest- there are many people who put to use the smallest of small scraps- but if you don't use anything smaller than a 4" square there is no reason for you to hold on to smaller- just pass them on to someone who will use them....so, to answer your question you have to look at yourself and your quilting journey...what kind of quilts to you make? what are you drawn to when you look at scrappy quilts? will you put the ones you have to use? you could save everything for 6 months (or a year-what ever) then sort through them & see if inspiration hits, what you would like to do with them & what you have no idea you even saved them for...organize/sort them, put the ones you can not imagine ever using into a carton/container & offer them to scrap lover's--here or locally- many people are willing to pay postage to receive what you have no use for...locally scout troupes, 4-H groups, school art departments, senior center- and more- love to receive scraps to use for projects.
    Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 PM

I just got done making a Scrap Quilt for my daughters future in laws-I called it Scrappy Colors-I sewed the bits of materials together till I had a block 12x12 trimmed then sewed them into rows for a 90x108 King size-I have 6 applique blocks in it, and 2 selvedge blocks in it-Is it every beautiful-and put muslim on back tied the whole thing with yarn and put material scraps for the binding too.