Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Sneak Peek at my first Quilt, an illustration >
  • A Sneak Peek at my first Quilt, an illustration

• A Sneak Peek at my first Quilt, an illustration

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

since you are to cut triangles, i'd just use starch on the fabric if i were you. something to help stabilize it a bit.
    Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
    Why thanks Paulswalia - I hope you are not right. But I'll post pics of the completed project.

Where do you think the pitfalls lie? I've got to cut 5 fussy cuts and make sure they remain in the correct order etc etc...

Anyway, I'll post if I get into trouble.
    I had to go look up Eleanor Burns quilt to figure out how you would do this, but now I get it, one square, cut in half on the diagonal, the sashing put in the middle, then square up the block. At first I thought there were going to be all sorts of seams coming together at the intersections of the sashing........I think you'll be fine - but echo someone else's suggestion for starching the pieces.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
    This was my first quilt as well. I joined the guild just as they were getting ready to start this project. Certainly forced me to jump in with both feet and no knowledge. The upside was they were very supportive and generous. It is certainly doable and not really that difficult, especially if you are determined.
    Aurora, which was your first quilt? Your avatar or one similar to the picture I posted?
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

So ladies, does the starch give the fabric stability cause you're working on the bias when doing the long side of the triangle?

What product do you buy?

Like are there starches and starches? And do you give it a light treatment or give it a good old wetting? (Never used starch before on anything)

Then upon completition do you NEED to wash it out?

Incidentally, I joined the "QuiltGuy, Yahoo Forum" tonight and you should see some of their offerings - very impressive! And the funny thing is, I haven't even made a quilt yet! Go figure.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM

This was my first quilt as well. I joined the guild just as they were getting ready to start this project. Certainly forced me to jump in with both feet and no knowledge. The upside was they were very supportive and generous. It is certainly doable and not really that difficult, especially if you are determined.
    Aurora, which was your first quilt? Your avatar or one similar to the picture I posted?
    The picture you posted. My avatar is the Orion Nebula.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM

So pretty!!
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
    I had to go look up Eleanor Burns quilt to figure out how you would do this, but now I get it, one square, cut in half on the diagonal, the sashing put in the middle, then square up the block. At first I thought there were going to be all sorts of seams coming together at the intersections of the sashing........I think you'll be fine - but echo someone else's suggestion for starching the pieces.
    So Paulswalia, I'm surprised you found it, well done.

What was it in her Quilts for all Season section - I forget.

But yes basically you cut your squares, cut on the diagonal, piece the relevant ones together bearing in mind that Eleanor's was scrappy and it didn't really matter which you chose to join.

But in my case I'm going to have to be particular to get the large central fussy cut correct or it's going to look pretty strange. But I should be right if I lay it out carefully and focus on the task at hand.

The sewing should be right, I've made many frocks and shirts, albeit only t shirts. But my daughters formal dresses required an effort - turned out good enough for my finickey daughters to don, and they told everyone who had made them. I was very pleased with myself!

And much earlier in life, when I was a teenager I was a deft hand on my mother's knitting machine - an empisal - used to make jumpers etc for my five siblings. I grew out of it, mum didn't have a ribber. She had difficulty using it cause she couldn't see the stitches on the hooks very well so I got to play with it. I also leant on her old singer sewing machine. But they are just memories now.

I'll post pics Paul. Is it Paul or Paulswalia?
    Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Oh, you must think I'm silly - but I've seen some pretty abstract looking quilts now.

Hey what a coincidence then. Any yours went all right?
    Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Oh, you must think I'm silly - but I've seen some pretty abstract looking quilts now.

Hey what a coincidence then. Any yours went all right?
    Yes. For my first quilt I was very pleased with the results.
    Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
    So Paulswalia, I'm surprised you found it, well done.

What was it in her Quilts for all Season section - I forget.

But yes basically you cut your squares, cut on the diagonal, piece the relevant ones together bearing in mind that Eleanor's was scrappy and it didn't really matter which you chose to join.

But in my case I'm going to have to be particular to get the large central fussy cut correct or it's going to look pretty strange. But I should be right if I lay it out carefully and focus on the task at hand.

The sewing should be right, I've made many frocks and shirts, albeit only t shirts. But my daughters formal dresses required an effort - turned out good enough for my finickey daughters to don, and they told everyone who had made them. I was very pleased with myself!

And much earlier in life, when I was a teenager I was a deft hand on my mother's knitting machine - an empisal - used to make jumpers etc for my five siblings. I grew out of it, mum didn't have a ribber. She had difficulty using it cause she couldn't see the stitches on the hooks very well so I got to play with it. I also leant on her old singer sewing machine. But they are just memories now.

I'll post pics Paul. Is it Paul or Paulswalia?
    Paulswalia is my nickname - and I can't join the guy's quilting club if you are really strict about the gender requirement. :-)