Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So excited, but what next? >
  • So excited, but what next?

• So excited, but what next?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM

SO excited for you! What a treasure, now go on your treasure hunt and see the quilt!!!!
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 AM

You're right, only us quilters would understand the emotional attachment and excitement. I'm so happy for you and look forward to seeing the pictures when you go to your Aunts!
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 AM

Thanks again to all of you who replied. It means a lot and I am now better prepared for some of the more emotional aspects of the quilt reunion. My mother wants to see it too of course. It will be quite emotional for her also. I will post pics :-))
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607
    I know that it would be awkward to ask about this quilt's future but I do feel it is important question and one that hopefully your aunt will appreciate. Just simply ask her if you may make a label or a written history to go with the quilt. And while discussing this, mention that you would hate to see it leave the family. See her reaction and maybe go from there. Simply tell her that you would like to add a note to go with the quilt so that when she passes, her children remember to contact you if they don't want the quilt. I am only beginning to enjoy and appreciate quilting but I have always appreciated family heirlooms and am honored when one of my children, cousins, or my nephew as that I insure something is kept in the family. It tells me that they also appreciate their heritage. Hopefully, your aunt and her daughter will feel the same way.
    I think this is a great suggestion and I like Jan's suggestion that you tell your aunt you would cherish this quilt if it would ever come to you. It's possible that the daughter might not want it or would be happy to have it in your keeping if she could just see it upon occasion and share the story with her children.
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Wonderful!!! And ditto to all above!
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

See if you can get it appraised or documented by an expert. They can tell you all the data about the age of the fabric, and other traits. It is so fun to find all the information and, if you want, what it is worth. I have had two old ones and two of the ones I made , and it was wonderful.
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM

This is an example of one of many things I love about quilts. They connect us with family and memories and history. So special. I too hope that you end up bringing it home with you.
    Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Just posting to say that I have uploading some photos to my album here if you would like to see: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18745.html. Although it looks tattered, it is beautiful to me :-))
    Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 AM

get the name of person who made it,date if not day then year. name of pattern if any. pieced ,applique or mix. Write it al down and of course put the pics with the history. If you could frame it some way and not fold it would be better.Oh so much to know .!!!!
    Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

I bought a top from one of my distant relatives (she was+90s while I was in my mid 20s) and somewhere in the back of my head I think she was my Grandmother’s (paternal) aunt. I have looked over the decades to find the check I wrote her but to no avail. My favorite Great Aunt (same Grandmother's half sister) who was the quilter of the family had her quilting bee hand quilt it. But no label with the history was attached. The quilt is going back to the museum in the small Kansas town my father relatives were raised in and I can only attach a sketchy history to the quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails antique-beth-star-quilt.jpg