Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So Excited and Soooo Nervous >
  • So Excited and Soooo Nervous

• So Excited and Soooo Nervous

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
    I think it is great that you have taken the first step.
    Don't worry about anything. Ask if there is a supply list, and by all means, take the machine you are most familiar.
    Thanks! I have several machines but am worried about them getting knocked around, so it will be my simple Singer 7442 that makes the trip. I bought it at Kohl's for $79 several years ago. Little did I know that I'd end up sewing for a living with this little old machine!
    Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by lsmft
    That little black dress you're wearing for the profile pic would be perfect - and comfortable for a day of quilting.

I wish I had known about the class sooner - I live in Suffolk Cty and would definitely have signed up.

Enjoy! and do well!
    Just sent you a PM. Not to late to sign up!
    Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 AM

Have fun - that is a beautiful block to learn!
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 AM

When in doubt, phone the instructor, or one of the class organizers. Ask about the temperature of the room so you'll have a better idea of what to wear. Fashion is not as important as comfort. Ask if the project will require anything besides a straight stitch, then carry the most comfortable machine which fits the need, and an extension cord, and/or a multi-outlet strip. Ask if you'll need a mini iron or a full size iron. Some classes run short on pressing space, so an ironing pad is handy. Other classes blow electrical circuits when too many things are plugged in, and that makes no one happy. Go over you list of supplies multiple times, carry your foot collection and extra bobbins for the machine you'll be using. If you need a steam iron, remember to carry a bottle of water to use. Put your name on everything. When you get there, and find you've forgotten something, even after going over your list several times, do not hesitate to borrow (or loan). Quilters share - just be certain to return, or claim the item at the end of the class. Laugh it up, have fun!
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 AM

don't worry about what to wear or take your supplies in, just go, take a trusty machine, wear comfortable clothes and enjoy. classes are fun, people will help if you have questions and you will learn and have fun at the same time.
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 AM

You are going to learn so get there early, get a good location, take notes and just do your best. We all started from first base and improved as we practiced.
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by olebat
    When in doubt, phone the instructor, or one of the class organizers. Ask about the temperature of the room so you'll have a better idea of what to wear. Fashion is not as important as comfort. ... Laugh it up, have fun!
    After so many kind suggestions of what to wear, I just wanted to say that I was joking! :D In my imagination everyone would be wearing quilted clothing and carrying their machines in hand-quilted pouches! :D
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Wear what's comfortable, take the machine you like best and are most comfortable with, sit as close to the front as you can so you can see everything that is going on, assume that everybody is going to help you as much as they can, and have a good time! Every single quilter out there was new at one time! Some of us are not so new any more but we still love to learn new things!
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 AM

Wear something comfortable, bring a machine that is going to run well for the whole class and put what ever you have to bring in what ever you have. I think I used a grocery bag. Yes, sit in front if you get there early enough to grab a spot. Have fun, learn and laugh.
    Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Don't worry about what you look like or how you carry in your "stuff". Clean and oil your machine, take extra needles and have several bobbins wound. Take your old faithful that you know works well and the one you are most familiar with. Label all your tools so they don't grow legs and walk away. AND, most of all, enjoy yourself.