Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So Excited and Soooo Nervous >
  • So Excited and Soooo Nervous

• So Excited and Soooo Nervous

Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Relax. Sounds like a fun class. Wear something comfy like jammies or something :mrgreen: Sit in front so you don't miss anything. Take your camera and take pictures of your project. PM me your address I'll send you a bag. There are some really cute bags at Joanns too I think they were $1.99. But go have fun. You probably won't be the only firsty. Can't wait to here how it goes. :thumbup:
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 AM

I wore jeans to my lessons and took a lightweight machine. I'd sit as close as possible so you can pick up more.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM

All the tips people have already mentioned are all good. Bring layers of clothing so if the room is cold, you have layers to put on and visa versa. New York Beauty is easy to learn, I learned from a book. Have fun, take pics., notes, sit up front - so must get there early. Post pics. of what you made, please.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Wear what you're most comfortable wearing.
    Bring the machine that you most like using (if you can).
    Sit up front.

You're there to learn, not to impress anyone.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

I remember my first quilt class and how intimidated I was, back in the 70's. Fast forward 30 years and I still get nervous when I go to a new class, but I am so glad I go. Some suggestions:

- take the machine which is easiest to travel with, BUT, if you do any sewing on the class project at home be sure to use this same machine. That pesky quarter inch can vary from machine to machine, and take it from someone who made the mistake, trying to compensate later for this semmingly inperceptable difference which has been magnified at the top gets larger can be very frustrating
    - all classes sort of have the same group of people - the one who cannot, no matter what, follow even the simplist instruction, the one who knows more than everyone, the one who has such an odd assortment of fabric that you cannot help but wonder just how many margaritas she had before fabric shopping, and maybe the one who despite everything just has the "knack" and her top comes out better then the instructors, but by and large the group will be people who want to learn a pattern or technique, love to experience it with others, and are more then happy to share and help everyone. Look for the lady, or ladies, who walk in with big smiles and laugh lines that do not fade away when they are not smiling and snug yourself with them and you will be carried along for a fun ride
    - and comfy clothes are essential
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 AM

You poor thing:>) Put on a roomy shift/caftan, etc. a pair of comfortable shoes; pack up your goodies in any tote bag or purse that will hold you materials; and take whatever machine is most comfortable for you to carry and use.
    Most important, arrive early and sit right up front as close as possible to the instructor. You've paid your money just like everyone else and you want to soak up every bit of information about the New York Beauty Block. Doesn't matter if you're a newbie or an old pro. You're all there because there's something about this particular block you all want to learn.
    Good luck and be sure to post pics as you progress.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Calm down, relax, wear whatever you want, take old faithful, and enjoy yourself. There will be others there like you, people wanting to learn. Most of all have fun.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Enjoy the class! You won't be the only Newbie!!
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Take your plain Jane machine. You won't be quilting (at least at the first meeting), you'll be piecing... and with the NYB that will be enough!
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Wear something comfy - like jeans. I've never been to a class where people dressed up. Quilters are not known for being fancy (at least in OK!). Take a machine that sews a good great straight stitch. YOu don't need any fancy stitches. Take your sewing supplies and be sure to mark everything with your name. I use a mailing label (the kind you get from everybody in the world!) to put on my rulers, etc. Take a good light (Ott-type) and an extra extension cord. The main thing is - relax, enjoy and have fun. You will be with all levels of quilters and will learn alot.