Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So frustrated right now. >
  • So frustrated right now.

• So frustrated right now.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
    My first attempt at a quilt 2 years ago, I marked about 200 blocks to sew into 2 triangles with disapearing ink, think it would come out when I washed it. I was so tired, I decided to sew them all in the morning. Got up - no marks. Talk about mad? That quilt is still in the project box!
    LOL...it's not the quilt's fault!!!! pull it out and try again....
    Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 AM

My the horror stories - I did the same thing - marked the quilt with an air fade pen and sure enough, it faded - well before I was ready to quilt it!!! After many bad words, I did the same thing mentioned here - mark and quilt as you go. It s a lot easier......
    Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 AM

I've got the opposite problem. I have yellow fabric that I marked with blue chalk and it won't come out, even after 3 washings. Anyone have an idea how to get this out? Its right in the middle of the quilt!
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 AM

I am so sorry--It has happened to me too.
    I just continued with what I thought the pattern was as I stared at the template pattern--give it a try. When I finished my improvisation, it looked pretty good.
    Best to you.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    I'm sorry for your struggles. I am also curious as to why you would mark a quilt for meander quilting. Please share. You may be on to something.
    I wanted to mark it because I'm hand quilting it and I like to just have a line to follow. For me, quilting is something I can do while thinking about something else, watching a movie or such, and I don't want to be thinking about how I'm going to quilt it the whole time. Also, I thought that if I used a pattern, the quilting would look more consistent then if I just winged it!
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
    Ok, maybe this will help. You said you made a stencil---so when you are ready to do a certain dark area, can you remark that area right then? In other words, do a section at a time. You should be able to match the stencil up to your marks on your light parts easy enough.I am like you and prefer to have lines to follow and this has worked for me before. I cannot do free motion on a regular machine but I sure can pretty much follow a line.
    Well... Technically I could use the stencil again, but I think I would pull all my hair out if I tried! Since it's meandering- and since I connected some of the lines at the edges of the pattern- it would be almost impossible to line the stencil up with the marks that remain on the quilt. However, I am just going to re-mark with a new pattern that (hopefully!) makes sense with the marks that are still showing, a bit at a time as I go along. Still bummed though because the way I did it originally, the line really was one long continuous line. Now it's not. I'm sure no one else will ever notice... but I will know! : )
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

I probably have 10 or 15 different marking pens and pencils for marking quilts for quilting. I don't like any of them. Some just won't write. Some come off, some won't come off. I even tried the spray on kind that you spray thru a stencil. It was really expensive and it took a lot to make it show and then it flaked off. This is one of the reasons I hate FMQ.If some one could invent a decent pencil I would pay a lot for one.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt
    Originally Posted by caliquocat
    I discovered marking my dark fabrics with a thin sliver of handsoap. It washes out of course when I wash the quilt.
    I'm nothing if not frugal. :-)
    thin sliver of soap has helped me
    Thank you, I think I'll give that a try!
    Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Have you tried using PressN'Seal? You mark your design on it, then it will stick to your top & you just peel it off once you are done quilting your quilt. Works good, unless your stitching line are close together & cross over each other alot. I have done several this way & love using it. It peels off later like your skin peels after a sunburn... Might be worth a try!...
    Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
    Have you tried using PressN'Seal? You mark your design on it, then it will stick to your top & you just peel it off once you are done quilting your quilt. Works good, unless your stitching line are close together & cross over each other alot. I have done several this way & love using it. It peels off later like your skin peels after a sunburn... Might be worth a try!...
    Okay, I see now you are hand quilting this, so this might not be a good option. I like your idea of marking as you go though, that might work better for you, good luck!