Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So many magazines so little time.... >
  • So many magazines so little time....

• So many magazines so little time....

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM

I subscribe to Fons and Porter, and love their patterns and tips and it is a fairly thick magazine. I subscribe to Quilter's Newsletter because I love their many articles and I'm inspired by some of the very intricate quilts in that magazine, although most are too difficult for me to try and it's geared more toward art quilts. I also have subscribed to McCalls Quilting and Quick Quilts and their patterns are easy and pretty, but their magazine seems to have less in them than some of the others. My favorite which I also subscribe to, is American Patchwork and Quilting. I tend to find more patterns that I love, good information, pretty quilts, easy and accurate instructions and a nice thick magazine. I'm a traditional quilter and this magazine really suits my style.
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM

I only subscribe to one magazine and it's "Quiltmaker". It has the most clear instructions that I've found and they have a variety of projects in every issue. I've been a subscriber for many years and I'm still happy with them. Also, when I go to quilt shows, some of them have a second-hand room and will have magazines for 25¢ each and that's a good way to build a stash and try others that you may want to subscribe to in the future. Members of my quilt group will all buy about 20 or more and then we'll trade with each other. That way we get to go through a couple of hundred in all. Any we don't want, we donate to our library.
    Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by LINDA CATLEGE
    I buy individually, but have more on hand than I will ever use, was looking thru some old ones and found an article on a process I had been wondering about. So I shop in my sewing room first.

lol....I can relate....
    Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I subscribe to Fons and Porter, and love their patterns and tips and it is a fairly thick magazine. I subscribe to Quilter's Newsletter because I love their many articles and I'm inspired by some of the very intricate quilts in that magazine, although most are too difficult for me to try and it's geared more toward art quilts. I also have subscribed to McCalls Quilting and Quick Quilts and their patterns are easy and pretty, but their magazine seems to have less in them than some of the others. My favorite which I also subscribe to, is American Patchwork and Quilting. I tend to find more patterns that I love, good information, pretty quilts, easy and accurate instructions and a nice thick magazine. I'm a traditional quilter and this magazine really suits my style.

Fons& Porter has two magazines out. One is usually in a plastic wrap and the other is not. Can you tell me the difference between the two?
    Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
    I only subscribe to one magazine and it's "Quiltmaker". It has the most clear instructions that I've found and they have a variety of projects in every issue. I've been a subscriber for many years and I'm still happy with them. Also, when I go to quilt shows, some of them have a second-hand room and will have magazines for 25¢ each and that's a good way to build a stash and try others that you may want to subscribe to in the future. Members of my quilt group will all buy about 20 or more and then we'll trade with each other. That way we get to go through a couple of hundred in all. Any we don't want, we donate to our library.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been to quilt shows but have never seen the magazine corner. I'll look next time I attend a show.