Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >
  • So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

• So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 AM

There is a whole lot of people who spend big bucks on collecting buttons...I have a shop just for them on Etsy! Mine are pretty picked over, but i have had lots of antique ones that can sell for $10-$100 each. Better not throw those jars away!
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM

I don't collect buttons unless I know they will look good on a future outfit or to up-date some thing already in the closet But not long ago while waiting my turn at the cutting table in a mark down bin I found some I turned into a cute necklace with a piece of black ribbon and earrings to match 1.50 for jewelry that I'll wear is a good price.-- I' ve seen them on Ebay /Craigslist sell them to some one who wants them free up some space -do less dusting
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 AM

I have lots of buttons too. I buy myself not sure why.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM

My mom, grandma, great-grandma, and mother-in-law collected the buttons I have. I do not have lots of knick-knacks in my studio, but the mason jars of buttons are there as a link to those who were here before me. I have added some to them (but that is not why I have the jars) and I have allowed my children and granddaughter to sort them and hold them, but in the end, they go back up on the shelf in the mason jars and are a continuing reminder of the women in my life.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 AM

i love buttons, in jars, on shirts,purses, quilts, doll clothes. tell your family to send them to me. i think i have a little more room for extra. dh says no but who is he?
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    My family thinks that just because I quilt that I'm suppose collect buttons. So every garage sale, flea market or even from their old shirts and sweater that they find/get they feel the need to give to me? I have spaghetti jars filled with buttons that I have no idea what to do with.. If I have space to store them, Id rather use that space for fabric.. So what gives?

(btw- I will never sew a button back on a shirt.. goes in the laundry to never be seen again)
    My grandmother was a seamstress in a factory making uniform coats for the soldiers in WW2. I remember that she always let me play in her BIG button box.I loved buttons. Her buttons. Big buttons, small buttons. Colored buttons, metal buttons. Even leather buttons. As I got older (maybe 4-5?) I sewed them to cardboard, and made a loose leaf binder of buttons For years I kept the collection of buttons. Until my grandma died. I was so hurt that she left me. We shared a bedroom and without her I was lonely. I recently without thinking I realized I was hording buttons. Iput them in a big jsr and yes, I take them out and just run my fingers through them.I have no children of my own, but memories last forever. They cost nothing. I am 56 and I still long for my grandma.I still love buttons and miss my grandma. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM

You can send all your buttons to me!!! I would gladly take them off your hands!
    Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM

I love buttons! I would have to say my fascination started when I was about 3 years old. To keep my happy while Granny sewed she would let me look in her button jar. I ohhed and ahhed over those buttons for hours. I'm happy to say that I inherited my Granny's quilting and sewing goodies when she died. Nobody else in the family was interested in her treasures.
    Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
    I do collect some buttons. I have myDH grandmothers button collection . I love the wreath idea. I do craft shows in the fall & those would definately sell. I use my buttons on wall hangings & table runners, purses etc. I think that I have some buttons from all the way back to the 30's.
    Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM

I do childcare and have for many years and when the kids seem restless or its stormy outside I pull out the containers of buttons and do the same as another reader said, we count, we learn colors and sorting by size or how many holes in each button! The kids settle down and do not even realize they are learning! My daughter loves my buttons too and she knows that they will be hers when I go. BUT NOT FOR A LONG TIME YET!!!!!!