Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Solar Powered Sewing machines? >
  • Solar Powered Sewing machines?

• Solar Powered Sewing machines?

Old 02-16-2022, 07:25 PM

Default Solar Powered Sewing machines?

I'm looking for information from those who have knowledge of using solar powered sewing machines for use in missions work.
    Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 PM
    mkc

No such thing.

Either solar/battery bank and inverter to plug a powered machine in or treadle - manually operated.
    Old 02-16-2022, 08:46 PM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by mkc
    No such thing.

Either solar/battery bank and inverter to plug a powered machine in or treadle - manually operated.
    Thank you for your response. I should have worded it better. I believed that a sewing machine could be powered by solar. I was told that the batteries are expensive.
    Old 02-16-2022, 09:01 PM
    Power Poster

I would look for an antique Singer hand crank machine. They are not as heavy as a Singer treadle(cast iron frame) and are manually operated by cranking the hand wheel. I do not have any knowledge of using solar power and batteries with sewing machines.
    Old 02-16-2022, 09:58 PM

You would be MUCH better off looking for hand crank or treadle machines. I've never heard of or seen any kind of solar-powered setup, other than people who have solar systems built into their house and use regular sewing machines plugged into the wall.

Hand crank and treadle machines are still out there. You just have to look for them. I have a friend whose mother passed, he was going to junk her hand-crank Singer because he thought it was worthless but I knew better, sold it on FB marketplace for him. Lots of people like them for remote summer cabins, traveling RVs, etc.
    Old 02-17-2022, 03:26 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Angel Threads
    I'm looking for information from those who have knowledge of using solar powered sewing machines for use in missions work.

I run my Feather Weight off solar when in our RV. You need batteries, ours are golf cart, to collect from the solar panels and a inverter. I think a hand crank or better maybe a treadle might be a better option as in affordable. You can buy new reproduction hand cranks and put them on older sewing machines that have belts and a potted motor. We have done this on some old singers.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-17-2022 at 03:30 AM.
    Old 02-17-2022, 03:34 AM
    Power Poster

https://blog.bernina.com/en/2016/08/...owered-sewing/

This is from a quick google. Not my set up.

Here is info on a foreign country
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRUdKtImKw
    Old 02-17-2022, 05:47 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by Angel Threads
    Thank you for your response. I should have worded it better. I believed that a sewing machine could be powered by solar. I was told that the batteries are expensive.
    You can do that, but you'll spend many times the cost of the machine for solar panels, batteries, and a good inverter. Any machine with circuit boards and any kind of computer is going to need a pure sine inverter or you risk damage to microprocessors.

The battery lifespan is a few years, maybe 7 maximum depending on maintenance. Flooded batteries need distilled water added periodically.

A manual treadle or hand crank machine is a much better choice.
    Old 02-17-2022, 08:26 AM
    Power Poster

In the early 90's I used my old electric Singer as a hand crank. The power was out for weeks due to an ice storm. I fashioned a handle on the hand wheel using duct tape and thread spool. I sewed nine patch blocks.
    Old 02-17-2022, 08:43 AM

More modern looking treadles that also have less weight are still made. More likely to find them in Amish areas. I am only aware of homes that have solar power and generator set up being able to run a regular machine. Good luck in your search.