Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Solid or patterned? >
  • Solid or patterned?

• Solid or patterned?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM

I have a bit of trouble picking out patterned pieces so generally I pick out true solids or tone on tone fabrics.
    Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by skeet
    ok I'am new at guilting but I like to know what tone on tone is? There are alot of words that are used here that I don't know.THANKS YOU
    Hi Skeet. Tone on tone is just the same color print as the background. Sometimes the print is a bit darker or lighter so it shows up more and sometimes it's so close to the same color it's nearly impossible to tell the pattern but you can just tell *something* is there so it looks textured sort of.
    Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM

thanks Gale
    Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM

[quote=gale]Mostly patterns with some solid for sash, background, etc. I like tone on tone too but I have a Kona solids color card so I can find the exact color I need in that brand"[quote]

Question: when you say... "a Kona solids color card so I can find the exact color I need in that brand", does that mean there is more than one brand of Kona? The reason I ask is I got some black Kona from a LQS that was smooth and also got some black Kona from JoAnn that was not nearly as smooth; just didn't seem as nice.
    I guess I thought Kona all came from the same manufacturer so would all be the same... (newbie here). Maybe I'm mistaken?? Thanks for any answers.
    Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM

I think I've only used solids once--a navy--which next to white in the quilt made it pop. It was my second quilt, so I really didn't know what I was doing, it was pure luck. Instead of solids I use tone on tones. I really don't much care for quilts that are very busy. I've noticed quite a few of them in the quilting magazines during the last year and sometimes I cannot even tell what the patten is. It seems like they are popular so it's me in the minority I guess.
    Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM

I buy both - seems like I go through spells of buying certain types of fabric (florals, tone on tone, batiks, etc). I like scrappy quilts a lot, only I think it takes longer when you're cutting out from so many different fabrics. All fabric is good fabric - well most of it anyway. Lol
    Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
    Originally Posted by gale
    Mostly patterns with some solid for sash, background, etc. I like tone on tone too but I have a Kona solids color card so I can find the exact color I need in that brand"
    Question: when you say... "a Kona solids color card so I can find the exact color I need in that brand", does that mean there is more than one brand of Kona? The reason I ask is I got some black Kona from a LQS that was smooth and also got some black Kona from JoAnn that was not nearly as smooth; just didn't seem as nice.
    I guess I thought Kona all came from the same manufacturer so would all be the same... (newbie here). Maybe I'm mistaken?? Thanks for any answers.
    There's only supposed to be one grade of Kona brand cotton and I have not noticed the stuff from Joann's to be any different. But others have so maybe some Joann's do have different ones. Also at our store the Kona cotton is mixed in with the Joann's brand quilter's cotton so it's easy to grab the wrong bolt. What I meant was I can find the right color of Kona (rather than guessing at online color charts or bella solids or whatever other company sells solids).
    Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM

I use both
    Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 AM

In the past I've always used prints, until this last quilt which only has 2 prints and the 5 are solids. I think I still prefer prints even if they appear solid from far away. There's more depth in a print, I think. I love Batiks.
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

I use solids and patterned. I don't like using just straight colored fabric as I like my quilts to be busy.