Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Solids >
  • Solids

• Solids

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM

The big push for modern quilts require solids only. Not my thing! Those quilts will be a boon for custom quilting. The longarmers are jumping up and down for joy!
    Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM

Good point....also the modern quilts are quilted very close so lots of quilting required. I just can't see paying all that money to have it quilted and I do not have the patience to do all of that FMQ'ing on my sewing machine. I love FMQ'ing but a simple meandoring for me is just fine.
    Originally Posted by snipforfun
    The big push for modern quilts require solids only. Not my thing! Those quilts will be a boon for custom quilting. The longarmers are jumping up and down for joy!
    Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Originally Posted by snipforfun
    Good point....also the modern quilts are quilted very close so lots of quilting required. I just can't see paying all that money to have it quilted and I do not have the patience to do all of that FMQ'ing on my sewing machine. I love FMQ'ing but a simple meandoring for me is just fine.
    Actually the reverse is true. The Modern Quilt Movement is based on functionality, simplicity, and minimalism. That covers the designs, the fabrics, AND the quilting. The whole package.

The quilting designs are quite simple, straightforward, often straight line or echo quilting and not dense at all. They are easy for quilters at any level to master and do not require 'quilting by check'. For examples, look at the work of Denyse Schmidt and of Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, the major inspirations of the Modern Quilt Movement.
    Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I have a hard time using solids. Too modern for me. I prefer tone on tones that read solid.
    I must agree as I don't think I have used a solid in any of my quilts.
    Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I just ordered quite a few yards of solids from "Connecting Threads" and they had some great prices. I thinks the totals order was $27 (including shipping). Nice fabric.

i use solids and prints.
    Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR
    Just started quilting again after a hiatus of several years. I have a small stash and fabrics for planned projects, but I have very few solids. What is the best way to stock up? I've thought of going to the store and buying a half yard of 15-20 basics (pastels and brights), but that's pretty pricey. Bundles of fat quarters wouldn't cost much less though.

Advice?
    Hancock Fabrics is having a sale this week - lots of good stuff on sale...
    Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM

Hobby Lobby has a decent selection of Kaufman Kona, usually 30% off
    Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 AM

I have been growing my stash of solids in the past six months. I watch for online sales and clearance and buy a couple yards of different colors. I focused on primary and secondary colors first, then worked on pastels. Now I'm trying to fill in with colors like aqua, lime, raspberry, etc.
    Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    I don't use a lot of solids, but I do keep an eye out for fabrics that read as a solid but have some movement in them as well. Mottled or just a small motif in a tone on tone colour is a great addition if you're looking to increase your fabric selection.
    I do the same. I just bought a bunch of mottled type fabrics, 1 yd per piece. They were on sale, with free shipping, time to stock up!
    Attached Thumbnails image3.jpg  
    Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM

I rarely use solid colors. I prefer tone on tone. But I am at a point I only buy what I need for my next project then there is always some left over for my stash.