Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . . >
  • Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

• Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

Old 06-04-2015, 06:06 PM

I was never a sewer of clothing, purses, etc. so I wouldn't know "off grain" if it hit me in the head. I tend to stay away from cheap fabric, so maybe I have been fortunate. Cow chips, horse apples, hmmm.............................Life does get complicated.
    Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 PM

I agree with all the issues -- especially off grain (I really hate when the stripes or plaids are off grain since they really show as being crooked when you cut them on grain).

I could add that when I buy a print, it is true that no matter how much I buy I always need more after it is no longer made.

I have noticed that when I buy blenders over time the colors change just enough that I notice the difference when I put old and new in the same quilt.
    Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM

One thing I'm going to try very hard to do is take a picture of each fabric upon intake and note the manufacturer's name and the pattern name, etc. That way, if I end up needing more I have a chance of finding it online. I figure I could maybe put these in a book and it could serve as inspiration and remind me of what fabrics I have...

I fully admit to being a fabric collector, especially with vintage now. I do plan to use most things (ideally) but any snide remarks get a "you wouldn't ask a stamp collector when they're going to use their stamps, would you?" I can't remember if I got that line from here or not but it's apt.
    Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 PM

I love the line "you wouldn't ask a stamp collector when they're going to use their stamps, would you?"
    Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 AM

Honestly, all these years of quilting and never once have I worried about off-grain fabric. I've never even noticed if it's off grain. If I like it, I buy it, lol!
    Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 AM

We call them cow patties.

fabric is stretched when printed. There is no way to see the stripes, etc as "perfect" with the grain. It is all illusion...cut the fabric on grain and you are good to go. Most people won't notice what "looks" crooked. The minds' eye fixes it.IMHO.
    sandy
    Old 06-05-2015, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    My sister referred to a horse's offerings as "horse apples"
    My dad always used the expression "horse hockey"
    Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 AM

I do wonder why they sometimes print just a very limited number of really good fabric lines. I remember a few years back making a quilt out of little paper doll patterns. Everywhere I went, people loved that fabric. And there was none to be found. So now if I find something I really like, I buy it. And I won't sell anything again that I love, which I have and was a big mistake.
    Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Luckily for me I have only had one or two pieces printed off grain and was able to use them anyway.
    I have a very large stash and 4-6 yards of many, many pieces. I am using it up but will never use it all. I like having lots of choices.
    Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 AM

If I'm dealing with stripes or plaids or other very "directional" prints, I cut based on the print and ignore grain. So far that's worked out OK for me. I don't think grain is as critical in quilting as it is in garment sewing. I think once everything is chopped up into small pieces and sewn back together and stitched down to a batting, a few pieces off-grain has little to no effect on the quilt. Off-grain pieces stretch and fray more, but once they're successfully sewn I don't think it matters much at all.

How do you cut a hexagon "on grain", for example!? Only 2 of the 6 cuts are going to align, no matter what you do!