Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Some things I learned "the hard way"  - >
  • Some things I learned "the hard way" -

• Some things I learned "the hard way" -

Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM
    Power Poster

Most important I have learned is: not just one way to do anything to get the same results. Experts are not real.
    Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM

squaring up units of a block as I go and not waiting until the whole block is together to square

use pins when I need them instead of just trying to hold it all together!

check my quarter inch seam with each new project--different threads do make a difference.

Sit up straight and hold my neck tucked so that my shoulders and neck aren't stress and achy --this one is very hard for me to do.

don't let my sewing room get so chaotic that I can't find things!
    Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
    To make a copy of the pattern so I can make notes, highlight, take to the ironing board, adjust for quilt size. Especially the patterns that give the # of pieces in parentheses, separated by commas, for Baby, Throw, Full, Queen, King. Like this (14, 20, 26, 32, 46) I think Yellow Brick Road was one of those. That is to keep me on the right track. But the real reason I started copying the pattern I was working on was that "sometimes" that pattern would just wander off and hide for several weeks, months... Now the copy can do that and so what!

I make a copy of all my paper patterns. I mark off each step with a highlighter as I go. When done I toss the copy.
    Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM

Check the errors section of any quilting magazine before you make one of their quilts. It's surprising how many errors make it into nationally known publications!
    Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 AM

Don't be in a hurry when you are sewing. I usually make mistakes and have to use the seam ripper more often.
    Old 06-01-2017, 04:15 AM

Pre-shrink fabric (whatever your preferred method) prior to cutting and do not use steam when pressing unfinished block seams.

Quick story: one of my first quilts had used very small flying geese in the sashing and I used an assortment of fabrics for the scrappy look I desired but when I went to assemble the sashing, discovered that many blocks had shrunk anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2". I learned the lesson the hard way and started using fabric sizing or spray starch to pre-shrink and stabilize the fabric before cutting.
    Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 AM

When I sit down to sew, if I make one mistake, well okay. If I make a second mistake, that's a warning. If I make a third mistake (i.e., bobbin runs out, spool runs out, thread comes out of needle, piece sewn wrong side up), then that's a definite sign it's not a good day for quilting and best to put everything aside and read a book instead.
    Old 06-01-2017, 05:00 AM

It really is okay to "break thread" when FMQ and there are times when doing so will make your life easier.

Rob
    Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM

I always look for the size of a quilt before I start and the size of the block. Sometimes the length is almost 20 inches longer than the width and I don't like that. The second thing is the size of the block: no 16" blocks on a twin or a lap size quilt. I always like to get a copy of the pattern and then I read it carefully making changes that I think need to be on it. I go through my stash looking to see if I have all what is needed and I lay them on top of each other for color selection. I test a piece of the fabric if I think it will bleed, I do not prewash normally. I do use precuts all the time but there is generally a background so I have to check the various colors for that. I start out with a clean machine and 6 full bobbins, a good book for me to listen to and then I start. My rituals for quilting.
    Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

I have learned to read, reread and read directions again. Come to find out, I DON"T know everything!!.