Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Someone please come over and slap me >
  • Someone please come over and slap me

• Someone please come over and slap me

Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM

http://quilting.about.com/od/binding...g_strips_5.htm

This method couldn't be simpler! So satisfying to just cut and cut and cut one long strip of binding...
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 AM

I was making a pair of pants for myself and somehow ended up with one giant pant leg instead of 2! I still don't know how I did that.
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 AM

We all have days like this!!!
    Originally Posted by sewNso
    LOL. somedays everything i sew i have to rip out. don't know why we have those days.
    :lol: :wink: :lol:
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by niizh
    Just think how much you enjoy the days when everything goes right. You wouldn't appreciate those days if you didn't have a bad day here and there.
    Hahahahaha!! I'll let you know how much I enjoy them when I have one!!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!

First one ... sewed in the opposite direct so when opened all I got was a V shape.

Resewed first one ... wonky. Rip.

Second one. Sewed it wonky, took it apart, and in the process flipped it around so that I had the seam on the right side of the fabric. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had noticed it BEFORE I trimmed it and sewed on the last strip.

Third seam ... I've managed to sew the tip of the other end of the strip under the seam!!!

So, what do you think I could have possibly done wrong with the last seam? What other rookie mistake could I have made? Anyone want to guess?

I'll give you one hint ... it's a batik so there is no right side of the fabric.
    You are a hoot! Been there, done that, will probably do it again. froggyintexas
    Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 AM

I love this board ... lots of giggles and proof we're all human! I decided to do my Warm Wishes quilt using QAYG method ... after 6 rows (yes SIX) ... I discovered the pattern was just not lining up like it should because of the batting & backing. Yes, I ripped the whole thing out and started over! Did just the top, now I'll layer & quilt! Good Grief!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM
    elm

I don't think you need a slap. I think you need a warm cup of fragrent tea. When I start making a series of mistakes, I step away from whatever it is (quilting, painting etc.) I figure if I'm on a roll, I don't even want to know what might come next.
    Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!

First one ... sewed in the opposite direct so when opened all I got was a V shape.

Second one. Sewed it wonky, took it apart, and in the process flipped it around so that I had the seam on the right side of the fabric. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had noticed it BEFORE I trimmed it and sewed on the last strip.

Third seam ... I've managed to sew the tip of the other end of the strip under the seam!!!

So, what do you think I could have possibly done wrong with the last seam? What other rookie mistake could I have made? Anyone want to guess?

I'll give you one hint ... it's a batik so there is no right side of the fabric.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM

This may help. DON'T cut the angle before you sew - cut it after. I put the binding pieces at a 45 degree angle and then sew from corner to corner where they over lap. then you can open it to see if it's accurate, and THEN cut the seam allowance off. I'll bet if you look in the back of one of your quilting books, it will describe this method. If not, I'd be happy to post a photo.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry you're having such a hard time with it.

I just sew some satin binding on a minke and flannel snuggle blankie. That was NOT FUN!!!!! Only for my grandchildren, it is not worth the frustration!!!
    When I have to sew satin anything..I use my walking foot. Makes everything so much easier.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM

LMAO....love that title!! Too hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol: