Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • something to ponder..... >
  • something to ponder.....

• something to ponder.....

Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have the 1/4 foot as well... I just need to go slower and pay more attention if I need and exact seam...
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Larger seams add bulk to the the top and can make it not lie as flat. But, you are allowed to make your own rules!
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to adjust. Instead of adding 1/2" you would add 1". For example, instead of a 2 1/2" square it would be 3 1/2" square. You do have to factor in the extra yardage for these blocks. Perhaps the extra fabric would offset the 1/4" seam dilemma.
    Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
    Good Morning ladies! (and Gents)!

i primarily rag quilt. that is because trying to keep that infamous 1/4 inch seem is very stressful to me and im sure for alot of others. so here's something to ponder...why not 1/2 inch seems which to me, seems so much easier. now i know what the problem is there....bulk. so why not trim that after you sew? just a little waste but it is so much easier. alot of times you can use the edge of your presser foot to get that 1/2 inch. what are thoughts on this?

-Loretta
    the answer is that of course, it is your quilt and your hobby and if you want to do it that way you can... but just remember.... the 1/4" is supposed to LEAVE the pc the correct size and shape...leaving the 1/4" inside the seam is just a byproduct of that... so if you're gonna make 1/2" seams, just remember they have to be nice 1/2" seams as straight and accurate as you can make them...the quilt pc still has to be the right shape when you get done...... it sounds like a fine solution as long as you keep the 1/2" straight...
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Does your machine let you move the needle position to the left or right? To get my 1/4" seam, I just line the fabric up with the side of my walking foot, then move the needle to the right until it is the perfect scant 1/4". It works for me.
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM

When I first started I did not pay attention to the 1/4 inch rule just used the edge of my foot but if you use 1/2 or 1/4 you have to be consistent or it just doesn't fit in the end. I finally learned that I could move my needle over so 1/4 inch works now using the edge of my regular foot as a guide.
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM

I think anything that gets you quilting is great. Just creating is fun. My 23 yr DD has made only a few block quilts and the last one even with putting sashing between the rows because they wouldn't meet I still had to take some of them apart to make it work. I said not a word to her and got it ready for it to be quilted. We SITD some of it and then tied the rest. When she said isn't this enough ties I told her yes if she wanted to quilt more since it was for a baby it needed a lot. That kept her going. It turned out really great and her friend loved it and only her and I saw the flaws. I told her that's the way it works. The other day she came over to the house and brought with her a lap size quilt top and just about all of the corners met and the ones that were off weren't off by much. I didn't point them out to her. I told her the truth. That I was so proud of what she had done and it was really pretty. Now she wants to make it bigger and make more for gifts for Christmas presents. Especially if you are doing block quilts the seem size doesn't really matter that much. I'm doing alot of civil war and that would be hard to go back and trim later but the more you do the better you get at it. When I started out I made block quilts and I only knew the seem that was along the edge of the presser foot. You can go to Walmarts or Joanns and get a magnetic seem guide that will work on any machine (even computerized ones) to help you keep your seems straight. It is the first thing that I tell someone one when I teach them to sew anything. Good luck and quilt; design and enjoy the whole process. Don't worry about quilt police. The only police that I worry about are the ones that can give me a ticket or arrest me.
    Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 PM

As i read this post and all the replies, the question that comes to mind is--if you can't get a good 1/4 inch seam, how are you going to get 1/2 inch? It seems like a lot of trouble when you have to cut all the pieces bigger to accommodate the 1/2 inch seam. Of course it is your quilt and your rules, JMHO. I think you should cut 3 pieces of fabric 2 1/2 inches wide and sew them together. They should measure 6 inches after pressing. If they don't, you need to adjust your needle position.
    Sue
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM

I don't have a problem with 1/4 inch seams, but I see no reason to not use 1/2 inch seams if that is easier and you are consistant throught the quilt.
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I have the 1/4 foot as well... I just need to go slower and pay more attention if I need and exact seam...
    I think this is my problem--I lose concentration and off I go. I've just gotten so used to ripping out stuff. You'd think after sewing for over 50 years I'd get it right one of these days!