Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • something to ponder..... >
  • something to ponder.....

• something to ponder.....

Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM

I solved one of my problems...my Bernina -second click on zig zag does a nice stitch-keeps the 1/4 inch sewing more true & if I have to rip-it, it is so much easier to pick the thread & cut
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM

If we go to 1/2 inch it still has to be accurate. They do have rulers that add a 1/4 inch seam that could be used on a piece that has the seam allowance figured in. I have a friend that sews "flat out"...really fast but I find I do best when I go rather slow and feed my piece in evenly so that I don't veer at the end. That's where I have had the most problems. As for keeping the block square, I'm finding how I press makes all the world of difference. Still working on that one!
    Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM

If you can follow the 1/2" seam mark on your stitch plate easier than trying for a 1/4" seam allowance, then go for it.

Some additional thoughts ...

Most patterns and templates are designed for 1/4" seam allowances. Some designs would be hard to adjust from 1/4" to 1/2" seam allowances. If you stick to very simple quilt designs, then this should not be an issue, but even with simpler designs it would be best to mark all the changes on a printout of the pattern.

Those larger 1/2" seam allowances might overlap in a medium to complex 6" block. If so, then you would have the additional work of trimming those seam allowances.

You would be placing more fabric into your quilt. This would result in higher costs to yourself plus a warmer quilt. The latter might be a bonus in colder areas, but detrimental in warmer climes.

The front of my Bernina stitch plate and presser feet have 1/4" marks (and sometimes 1/8"), which help me align my fabric. I did not discover this until I had the machine for a while. Depending on your machine, it might be easier to get that "scant 1/4" seam allowance than one might think.
    Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I used to move my needle. Then I got the Pfaff Creative Sensation for Christmas - which comes with a 1/4 inch foot. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Should have bought one years ago. I'm amazed at the difference it makes. I can't describe in words how much better it is than moving the needle. It just IS!

A quilt with 1/2 inch seams will be a lot heavier. There will be bigger 'humps' to sew through when you are quilting. This will be a bigger problem if you're a hand quilter than if you're a machine quilter, but it is something to think about.
    Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Why would anything but the size of a quilt change because you didn't make 1/4" seam? Why would it be "easier" as so many of you have said? What would make the 1/2" seam more accurate than a 1/4" seam? Wouldn't you till have to rip out a 1/2" seam because it wasn't 1/2"?

Before I knew about the 1/4" seam requirement, I just used the edge of my regular sewing foot. Everything must have been smaller, but if you do it all that way, what is the harm? I don't ever care about the size of a quilt to be exact. I'll just add more sashing if I do.

Originally Posted by garysgal
    I'm with Lorettan-how would you do this? If you didn't add something when you cut, the blocks would come out smaller than the pattern calls for. I like the idea of a 1/2" seam. I think it would be better for a lot of us (me included) and a lot easier. I know a lot of times I have to rip out a seam because my 1/4" wasn't 1/4"....
    Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM

as long as your seams are consistent I don't see where it maters if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch. I have marked both in different colors on the machine and table. however I don't make hierloom quilts. I make good everyday quilts for the fun and the warmth of them!
    Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM

I would have just as much trouble getting a perfect half inch seam as quarter inch so the problem is being consistent. As long as you have to keep it the same all the time, how does it matter if you are sewing a quarter, half or inch seam? Once you learn to make a seam consistently the same, I don't get why it matters what size the seam is. Of course I do understand about when you have the set foot, as in the quarter inch foot. But anyone who can sew a straight and consistent seam of any size without one, is way ahead of me. LOL
    Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
    Good Morning ladies! (and Gents)!

i primarily rag quilt. that is because trying to keep that infamous 1/4 inch seem is very stressful to me and im sure for alot of others. so here's something to ponder...why not 1/2 inch seems which to me, seems so much easier. now i know what the problem is there....bulk. so why not trim that after you sew? just a little waste but it is so much easier. alot of times you can use the edge of your presser foot to get that 1/2 inch. what are thoughts on this?

-Loretta
    I am like you I cannot use 1/4 inch seams so I always use 3/8 not quite a 1/2 but big enough to for me.
    Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

When i took sewing in school i was taught to make a 1/2 inch seam, my sewing teacher would be turning in her grave (LOL),
    Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 AM

A person after my own heart. If you keep all seams equal when you make your pattern, you can trim it down to 1/4 inch before you set the seam. I do a lot of pattern making, so can my my seam allowance however large I want.