Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is something wrong with me? >
  • Is something wrong with me?

• Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I agree with Jim's Gem.....

Recruit some friends to help you pack your items in totes....then they can pack them in boxes. If you want certain totes to be together.... stack/place them together and label each tote in a group with a number/letter/etc.

Hope this helps.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM

I understand!! You value your things. I'd feel the same way you do. Great suggestion about recruiting a few friends!
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM

I agree with you. I wouldn't want anyone else packing my things. I'm sure the movers are very good but they are most likely not quilters and wouldn't care for or organize your things as you would. It will also make unpacking a much more enjoyable for you because all of your treasures will be in the order you want. I hope your move goes smoothly.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM

When I had the professional moves do the packing - anything I was concerned about I stayed in the room while they were packing that stuff. Everything all ended up being where I wanted it. And if you want to use tubs then do so and they can be placed in larger boxes.
    Hope all goes well.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

I agree with you. There is no way I would let movers touch my sewing machines or anything I value. I've seen their work first hand. Never again.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

I don't think you're crazy and I understand how you feel, but here is what I would do:

I would pack my "essentials" - everything you need for either your current or upcoming WIP's. Pack for yourself, the one machine and the tools and supplies that you *need* to do those things. Then put them in your car. (Unless your stash, tools and supplies are minimal enough for it all to fit in your car, then I'd pack it all and haul it all myself).

I don't know how your moving company works, but I used to work for one. We could not load anything into the truck that we had not packed ourselves. For two reasons: First being to save your butt - your stuff is not covered if you pack it. The second reason was to save OURS. If you have packed something that the company cannot move, for whatever reason (aerosols were a big one for us), and they don't know...and it causes any kind of accident/incident, it is not covered for us or you. Even for those rubber maid storage bins, we had to go through *every.single.item* in them before clearing them for loading (imagine the day I found a whole rubbermaid bin full of Play Girl magazines and HAD to go through it...)

I would rather have to re-fold and re-organize than lose it all with no reimbursement.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
    kbs

Ask if you can be in the room when they pack your stuff, I'm sure they have had stranger requests.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

I would be worse than you. I would feel the same way about my kitchen things. Even my DH knows better than to put things in my cupboards.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM

At one time we were moved by professionals and they would not take anything packed in totes or plastic. They took it out of the totes and packed in boxes and then packed the totes. Their reasoning was be cause anything plastic will crack and break as things shift in the moving van. Don't know if that is true today,
    might want to check it out.

I also moved computer and sewing machines myself. My hubby moved his electronics and TV/s. We actually took a pickup and van load cause there was alot of house hold stuff they wouldn't take.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Pack your stuff....We hired "professional" movers last time I moved, they broke things, packed stuff incorrectly, couldn't find anything....Just saying...

Sandi