Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is something wrong with me? >
  • Is something wrong with me?

• Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Having heard the horrors of military moves, I always elected the do-it-yourself moves when we were active duty. It can be hard work, especially when one is not able to work full steam ahead.

For many of the reasons stated, movers can't ship owner packed items. Here are ideas which may help. Rather than tubs, pack in plastic bags or plastic wrap. Zip Lock has those huge bags, which measure about 13X16. (available at WM.) They are excellent for packing individual projects. Burp the bags as much possible. Tie or tape the bags together in bundles of 5's and 10's. Get a large roll of cling wrap from Sams, Cosco, or a restaurant supply. Bundle your fabric groups just the way you want them, and wrap with the cling. Label as desired. Put everything back on the shelves or in drawers. Go back with a permanent marker and sequentially number everything. Keep the sizes of the bundles manageable, for your well being, and the convenience of the movers.

On packing day, the movers will grab packages of different sizes to fill the spaces in their boxes. Their inventory sheets will bare the numbers you assigned to the packages. On the other end, the bundles go in the drawers or shelves, but in no particular order. However, because each home has different lay-outs, you may want different arrangements anyway. Still, you can then easily put the things in the sequential order that they are now, and use only one arm.

Roll the tools, such as scissors, rotary cutters, craft knives, etc. in hand towels and wash cloths and tie tightly, then put into baggies. Tie books in small bundles also. For the sake of weight and space, the packers may put a tied bundle of books, and several bundles of fabric, and a measuring cup set from the kitchen. It may not look logical, but the boxes need to be filled tightly so that they'll support the weight of the boxes which get stacked on top of them. If one of your baggies pop because it wasn't burped adequately, things may begin collapsing.

If you have little utility drawers with snaps, machine needles, seam tape, and other what-nots. Stiff the draws full with sheets of bubble wrap or paper towels to keep the contents stationery. Wrap with the cling to keep the drawers closed. You could use tape, but then you'll need the goo-gone to remove the adhesive.

Take it easy on yourself, but give yourself peace of mind too. By wrapping in small bundles, you'll be doing a lot of lifting, but not heavy lifting.
    Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 AM

Why don't you spend one day while your husband is gone doing some "pre-packing" - putting your soon to be made quilts into plastic boxes, putting your fabric in plastic boxes, and labeling how everything else should be packed. Then, when the professional packers come in, keep a close eye on them. Also, I would NEVER, EVER let my sewing machines go in a moving van. Those would go right in the car with me where I know they are safe and sound!!
    Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 AM

How nice to have movers do it all for you!! HOWEVER, your personal belongings and quilty things are the most important part of you and you have the perfect right to pack them as you please. I have no idea why your DH won't let you do this! My opinion is to get it done however you can while he's gone , since he seems to have no understanding of your need. Sorry about your arm!
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Um, what is the "there is other stuff that we need to accomplish" hes talking about?? Seems if he is away from home from 4AM to 10PM he isnt there to help with anything. If the pros will be there to pack, let them "accomplish" the "other stuff". If you have any friends close by, have them help you, you can say and point what and where you want your things. Mark all your boxes w/ notes on the outside for whats inside, and put a code on it, number letter, star whatever so when the guys get to your new home, tell them "all the boxes w/ circled A take right to upstairs rm first on the left" or whatever. Then you wont have to sort thru boxes and move things all over the place.
    We had a "professional" move from NY to SC and even though nothing was broken, when we got here hubs went right to work 9-5 the day we pulled into the drive, and I spent the better part of 2 months moving furniture around all the rms and unpacking huge cartons. Believe me, what you "need to accomplish" is better accomplished if you take control of the cartons from the getgo. share t
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm with everyone else, I would have to pack my stuff, movers are not as careful as they lead you to believe, its my stuff and its expensive, i don't care if its insured you will never get back the same thing. But with your arm you do need to be careful. I'm all for the friends idea, or if need be hubby (but they don't get it either) Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 AM

When we had professionals move us they assurred us that our electronics would be safe and they knew how to do it better. I walked into our condo and saw 2 of our computers bouncing down the stairs. The company said they would replace anything that was broken. Fortuately no problems. Pack anything you need to feel better. In our next move, we will be packing our electonics and my sewing machines and taking them with us. Good luck!
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

I would NOT want sombody else packing my stuff.
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 AM

I think insisting on packing your "room" shows where you heart is...it is where you feel the control is and I for one would be packing my sewing room MYSELF. Hold the presses...no professional male or female moving employee is going to touch one piece of my stash! lol

Anna
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM

I would have already had it packed. A little at a time, after alll your DH is gone 4 days a week. You would be surprised how much you could get done in that time. Besides if he sees you are serious he might offer to help with the heavy items. Those packers have their own way of doing things and they are not going to pay too much attention to a one-armed woman.

No, I do not think you are being unreasonable. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Who is packing his fishing gear, golf clubs, or TV remote? I know some will disagree with me, but you asked me what I thought.
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:48 AM

I was once told that professional movers will not insure any boxes packed by the homeowners. You might inquire about that before you make your packing decision.