Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is something wrong with me? >
  • Is something wrong with me?

• Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Take care of yourself first. Anything else can be replaced. They will insure your stuff and what can happen to fabric in a box? As long as it makes it dry from point A to point B, it doesn't really matter which box i is in, or which goes first. Your health is more important. You need to relax and let them do their job. If you are concern about your machine, take it with you, but everything else will be just fine.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Um...... I have been there with the one-arm stuff. We had a water leak and I had to pack up my entire sewing room.( right before surgery) I had help from quilting friends unpack and put it back together.
    I have moved many times with the Navy. There are certain things that I insisted on packing into Rubbermaid tubs. They then packed the tubs into boxes, that was fine.
    Being that you are not supposed to use your arm..... can you have a friend help? Can you be there in the room when your stuff is being packed? I know there are a million other things that need to be done. You may have to let this one go a little.
    Oh my gosh that brought back memories! my husband is retired navy he was on subs. I always hated the moves and it seemed that every time things got broken and we had to wait forever for the claims, some thing were not able to be replaced as they belonged to my great grandmother. Finally started packing myself and nothing else was ever broken. But the work involved was a nightmear! Also never liked having to change the kids schools, and learn my way around new towns. Was so happy when the 20 years was up.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, prepack in rubbermaids or something else and they can pack/box that. Also sticker everything with numbers/codes so you can put it together quickly if they sepperate it.

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Um...... I have been there with the one-arm stuff. We had a water leak and I had to pack up my entire sewing room.( right before surgery) I had help from quilting friends unpack and put it back together.
    I have moved many times with the Navy. There are certain things that I insisted on packing into Rubbermaid tubs. They then packed the tubs into boxes, that was fine.
    Being that you are not supposed to use your arm..... can you have a friend help? Can you be there in the room when your stuff is being packed? I know there are a million other things that need to be done. You may have to let this one go a little.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 AM

I would also want to pack my sewing room. When we moved back to Fl from NC my family helped pack and I did not find things for months. I appreciated the help but, I am systematic when I pack so I will know where things are. Just do a little at a time.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 AM

I would not want someone else packing my stuff. i liked the idea of packing fabric in the plastic bags before hand. the movers can see what's in the bags and pack accordingly. I would supervise what i was able to and pack machines and electronics myself in original boxes if possible. Good luck with your move and your arm.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 AM

In 23 years as a Navy Wife, I always had a few things I wanted to pack myself. It usually took 2 days for our pack out, so the movers would leave several boxes made up and ready to pack when they left the first day. I packed, but did not seal them. The mover would check them, and sometimes put a few more things in and seal. That way they were still insured. I was fortunate not to have much damage in all those years, including 2 overseas moves. But, I didn't have very many precious things then! Raising 3 kids on a Navy salary in the 60's and 70's didn't allow for much extra. I was not a quilter then so only had 1 machine which was in use all the time making clothes!
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM

I would be concerned that it might invalidate the insurance if you packed. Just stay in the room and supervise. Have them mark the boxes specifically (not just "sewing room"). Be sure to tell them the value of the sewing machine(s) and that it should be listed on the valuable item/fragile list.
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

I would supervise the movers. I'm sure since you are "paying" them, they wouldn't mind taking some direction as to how you want it done.
    Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Jane, those items are important to you and it is another way of maybe purging some items. Welcome to Maryland. I live in Fallston, Harford County. We have The Flying Geese Quilt Guild in Bel Air. Look us up on the web and if you are interested in attending one of our meetings, please let me know. I am "golfer" better known as Barbara.
    Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 AM

You're not being unreasonable. But since one of your arms is out of commissionm at the moment I'd get a friend to help out.