Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is something wrong with me? >
  • Is something wrong with me?

• Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM

So between 4a Monday and Thursday evening you are free to do anything you like!! I totally understand. I find with some of my 'stuff' it defines me...for good or ill. And that stuff can't be handled just any ol way by just any ol person. It's mine, it's me, and only I can handle it right. Do what you need to for you while husband is away, or have a trusted friend (who doesn't mind following explicit directions ;-) ) help
    Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
    Kas

Watch the movers! In the Navy we heard all kinds of stories. Full bags of garbage packed for the move, ashtrays still full of butts carefully wrapped and all the baby stuff just missing.
    Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
    Having heard the horrors of military moves, I always elected the do-it-yourself moves when we were active duty. It can be hard work, especially when one is not able to work full steam ahead.

For many of the reasons stated, movers can't ship owner packed items. Here are ideas which may help. Rather than tubs, pack in plastic bags or plastic wrap. Zip Lock has those huge bags, which measure about 13X16. (available at WM.) They are excellent for packing individual projects. Burp the bags as much possible. Tie or tape the bags together in bundles of 5's and 10's. Get a large roll of cling wrap from Sams, Cosco, or a restaurant supply. Bundle your fabric groups just the way you want them, and wrap with the cling. Label as desired. Put everything back on the shelves or in drawers. Go back with a permanent marker and sequentially number everything. Keep the sizes of the bundles manageable, for your well being, and the convenience of the movers.

On packing day, the movers will grab packages of different sizes to fill the spaces in their boxes. Their inventory sheets will bare the numbers you assigned to the packages. On the other end, the bundles go in the drawers or shelves, but in no particular order. However, because each home has different lay-outs, you may want different arrangements anyway. Still, you can then easily put the things in the sequential order that they are now, and use only one arm.

Roll the tools, such as scissors, rotary cutters, craft knives, etc. in hand towels and wash cloths and tie tightly, then put into baggies. Tie books in small bundles also. For the sake of weight and space, the packers may put a tied bundle of books, and several bundles of fabric, and a measuring cup set from the kitchen. It may not look logical, but the boxes need to be filled tightly so that they'll support the weight of the boxes which get stacked on top of them. If one of your baggies pop because it wasn't burped adequately, things may begin collapsing.

If you have little utility drawers with snaps, machine needles, seam tape, and other what-nots. Stiff the draws full with sheets of bubble wrap or paper towels to keep the contents stationery. Wrap with the cling to keep the drawers closed. You could use tape, but then you'll need the goo-gone to remove the adhesive.

Take it easy on yourself, but give yourself peace of mind too. By wrapping in small bundles, you'll be doing a lot of lifting, but not heavy lifting.
    PRE-PACKING SMALL BUNDLES IN PLASTIC BAGS OR PLASTIC WRAP- what a GREAT idea! You can put small packages together the way you want AND the movers can see what's in the bundle before putting them into large boxes. Having a friend help out will help make the task go more smoothly. There are SO many wonderful suggestions here. Take care of yourself!
    Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 PM

If you're alone all that time during the week, get it packed up while he is gone, label it and tell them where you want it packed in the truck. This is something they do all the time.....put things where people want them but then be sure to WATCH that they do it or make sure it is the last thing on the truck.

You are not weird for wanting this. If he had something he strongly cared for like woodworking projects or something else, he'd be the same way....well, maybe not, men are so different!!

You're fine, just fine and this is just one small moment of time. :) :) :)
    Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Only professional move we did they took the salt & pepper shakers off the dining room table and didn't put tape or anything over the holes...then packed them in the same box with the stereo equipment!

I would take my machine/machines in the trunk of my car and I like the sorting/bagging suggestions for ahead of time. BUT don't re-injure yourself. Do it in stages, do the most important stuff (to you) first, then do the others in rank of importance, so if energy/time get in the way you're covered somewhat.

Also you might want to check about getting the extra insurance. In days or yore, when dinosauers still roamed the earth, the standard moving insurance was by the pound and not very much. I would talk to both the movers and your own insurance co.about a rider for fabric, etc or really anything valuable. Good idea on the jewelry, that should also go with you.

We also had problems on the unload end with them putting boxes in wrong room. I wanted to unpack at my leisure, which you may not want/choose not to do. Depends on how much stuff you have, I guess.

Anyway, good luck...and try not to stress out too much, you have a lot on your plate right now.
    Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Every time my DH got transferred we had to do the packing. I have a girlfriend who has packed professionally. She showed me some of the tricks of the trade. They do label things very well. I would go ahead and let them do it. It would make life so much easier for you. Many things would be packed better than we could do it ourselves. The next three things you want to do, pack yourself and put in the car with you. Then you'll know where they are.
    Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Every time my DH got transferred we had to do the packing. I have a girlfriend who has packed professionally. She showed me some of the tricks of the trade. They do label things very well. I would go ahead and let them do it. It would make life so much easier for you. Many things would be packed better than we could do it ourselves. The next three things you want to do, pack yourself and put in the car with you along with one sewing machine. Then you'll know where they are.
    Possibly you could ask for one of the packers to be a woman. They usually pay better attention to details.
    Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Just pack your stuff that's important in bins and have them stacked in your room. They aren't going to repack it, they will label it Packed By Owner. I'm with you. I would not want to have someone else going through my stash who doesn't respect it. They can pack all of my underwear they want.
    Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

The last time the military moved us, decades ago, the packers came in and packed everything in sight. I unwrapped coke bottle lids that were loose in a silverware drawer. LOL. Every item was wrapped in paper. Each spoon, each dish, everything. It took me forever to unpack, they packed and moved but didn't unpack and didn't mark the boxes. I cried for days sitting in the middle of piles of boxes. I didn't get along all that great being a military wife.
    Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM

I haven't read all the messages in this thread, but here's a thought or two. If you can't get a friend/friends together to help you pack, call a local high school. Many high schools require community service of their upperclassmen, and perhaps there would be a student or two who would be able to satisfy their community service hours helping out. Also, candidates for confirmation in Catholic churches also often have to fulfill service requirements. Call your local parish to see if anyone needs some hours.