Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is something wrong with me? >
  • Is something wrong with me?

• Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM

I know how you feel as I moved around in my job many times as well. The rule here was, that if I packed it myself, I had to buy my own insurance, so after a while I just allowed them to do it because I could always replace anything with something new with the insurance money. The only thing that happened in all the moves was that one removalist stole a portfolio of my drawings...as I haven't reached Picasso's status yet, they are of little use to him. Now, I know it is easier said than done, but these things are only things and if we put it into perspective and relax a little bit, the moves become less traumatic. I also got used to it as I moved 10 times before I was 20 and then every 2 to 5 years after that with my job.Now that I am retired, it is the longest time I have ever been in a place and that is 6 years - probably get carted off to the old age place next.
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM

We worked for a moving company for a very short period of time. When we got to our destination city we would go to employment places and hire 2-4 men and women to go into the homes and do the packing, we seldom was able to get any with any experience. When we got to our destination we would hire people to unload. again no training. Granted we were hired to do commercial jobs but wer called up on sometimes to do household. This is one of the reasons we went back to hauling general goods I hated being responsable for peoples prized possissions, especially when packed by whom ever you could find to hire, if you have 2-4 people packing you cant watch everything going on
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:42 PM

I agree with the suggestion of packing things the way you want them in rubbermaid containers then letting the movers pack the containers in their boxes. Things are packed the way you want them, and the movers want them, and still covered by insurance like you hubby wants. Can you get someone to help you pack it into the containers? If you live in the DFW area, I would be glad to help
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:42 PM

We worked for a moving company for a very short period of time. When we got to our destination city we would go to employment places and hire 2-4 men and women to go into the homes and do the packing, we seldom was able to get any with any experience. When we got to our destination we would hire people to unload. again no training. Granted we were hired to do commercial jobs but wer called up on sometimes to do household. This is one of the reasons we went back to hauling general goods I hated being responsable for peoples prized possissions, especially when packed by whom ever you could find to hire, if you have 2-4 people packing you cant watch everything going on
    Old 01-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Moving is very hard. If my husband wanted to kill me, all he would have to say is that we are moving from here!
    Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM

You are not crazy. I can very much relate to your problem... have been there, too. Stand your ground and pack up what you want, and let the chips fall where they may.
    Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM

Have you done this before?? They will do whatever you want them to do as long as your in the room with the packers. I would have them label the machines REALLY GOOD. or put them in your car. We've do a few company moves and most the time the packers will listen to owner. It is YOUR stuff and you (company) are paying them
    Take care Your fabric will be fine.
    Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM

then why dont you stand there and tell them how you want it packed and watch as they do it , i would
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Maybe you and a friend could pack the most important things and ship them to you at the new address? In care of General Delivery?
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Ask the people to pack if you can supervise. Then you can be the deligator. I am a doer also and it will be very hard for you. Just tell them what you want done and why. I hop it works for you. Hope you do have a friend to help you.