Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sometimes they do listen... >
  • Sometimes they do listen...

• Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Children pick up more then we could ever imagine possible.....this comment hit home too...With Billy. Last weekend we were trying to avaoid a long line of traffic on I-35 North when I noticed all the 4-way stops had bright pink flags flying from them. I assume to draw attention to the stop signs! Wrong!! As per Billy: they're for breast cancer awareness!
    Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM

That is a riot!! Good for your grandson for feeling comfortable with quilting!!
    Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM

All my grandkids learn how to sew and attend sewing camp for a week when they are 9 - I have 3 granddaughters and 4 grandsons - they all love it. My son cooks, cleans, makes jelly and salsa - he is awesome - he also lifts weights and can fix anything in the house - he built his own room when he was 16 - did the wiring, hung a suspended ceiling, paneled the walls with blue knotty pine. Don't you know boys can do anything?
    Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    Back in the dark ages, when I was in jr. high they decided that the boys learn to cook and sew, and the girls took shop. The shop teacher wasn't too happy about the girls being in his class ( I might break a nail). but we learned to saw and nail. The boys learned to cook, bake, sew a button on, and even make a button hole by hand. Now they don't even have home econ.. It doesn't hurt a boy to play with a doll either, it makes them a good dad!!!!!!!! I like your grandson's response!!!
    Home ec and shop are still taught in middle school. They have fancy new names for it but the kids are still taught. They kids who cook actually market and sell some of their food items to teachers and classmates as part of the class requirement. They learn and have a blast. How cool is that?
    Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 PM

I am teaching two of my boys to sew and quilt. Nothing wrong with it as long as they are comfortable with it.
    Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 AM

At our high school they couldn't get boys to learn sewing or cooking until they titled the course "Bachelor Living".
    Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 AM

my son cooks,cleans,sews,and his sister can not even sew on a button.oh he also can knit or crochet says someday he may have to finish all my ufo's
    Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 AM

There were 8 children in our family, 5 boys & 3 girls. My mother taught all of us to sew, cook & clean house. My oldest brother still sews, he is 80 & makes dresses for his great grand daughters. They are proud of them and show them to everyone telling them that GreatPa made this for me. When people ask, 'Don't you mean GreatMa?' they answer & say 'NO GREATPA!'
    Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    Children pick up more then we could ever imagine possible.....this comment hit home too...With Billy. Last weekend we were trying to avaoid a long line of traffic on I-35 North when I noticed all the 4-way stops had bright pink flags flying from them. I assume to draw attention to the stop signs! Wrong!! As per Billy: they're for breast cancer awareness!

Good for Billy for knowing about Breast Cancer Awareness.
    Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 AM

I am having a hard time believing a woman would say such a thing, but kudos to your grandson for standing up for himself. I do hope you teach him how to sew, not only quilt. I am in the block swap with rfbrazell and I am so fascinated with him, his embroidery reputation and what I have learned about him. If my husband was anything like Robert I would have a much bigger stash, a couple more sewing machines and a lot more time to sew. So keep up his interest in what Gram is doing and just maybe we will see some amazing work from this young man.