Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sometimes they do listen... >
  • Sometimes they do listen...

• Sometimes they do listen...

Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by momto5
    Both my sons can do their own cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing clothes...and they can even repair an item of clothing. When asked why I was making them learn to do these things, I always told them it was so they could live on their own and not have to have someone else do it for them! Of note....both of them are WAY better cooks than I am...
    I did the same thing with my three sons and for the same reasons. And it's a good thing because 2 of them married women who couldn't cook. However, the wives did learn and are good cooks today.
    Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Anita, I'm a Joseph Campbell fan too. My Bliss seems to move around, so I've never been able to nail it down.
    Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM
    Power Poster

Well young Billy looks like he's got a head on his shoulders. Life skills are important for people of both genders to come to grips with...everyone should be taught to cook, clean, mend, do basic repairs around the house/car. One thing I can't abide is people getting out of doing things because "I'm a woman/man", "my husband/wife always did that" or worst of all "that's woman's/man's work".
    Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 PM

I hope your DGS learns to quilt and continues to do so in his adult life. I have seen some awesome quilts posted on here that have been quilted by men. I forward to seeing one quilted by your DGS.
    Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM

I think it's cool. Both my grandson are learning to sew. Both know more than there mother too.
    Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM

My ex thought it was terrible that I taught both of the boys how to cook and do laundry. That's stuff they all need - boys or girls. I also taught my oldest how to cross stitch. He didn't want me to tell anyone back then but now he tells everyone that he knows how! Unfortunately I wasn't quilting then or I'm sure he would have picked that up too!
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    My daughter came over to pick up her son, Billy. He had spent the weekend with me...which he does a lot. He was going thru my stash looking for fabric for me to make a doll quilt for a friend's birthday. His mom said..."Are you teaching my son to quilt? He's a boy...teach him football"! My grandson, who is 10 years old, looked at her and said.."Don't you know about Ricky Tims"?

I laughed so hard...but I was proud of him!!
    It breaks my heart to hear of adults who try to enforce their own concepts of what makes a man or a woman. I have known some pretty wonderful "manly" men who knew how to sew, knit, quilt and many other such skills. I know some women who have climbed trees, driven a four-wheeler, and ridden a horse too.

Is there anything wrong with men having a soft side--maybe a side that would make him more compassionate? My father-in-law (now deceased) used to argue with his best friend about what makes a man. His friend had two little girls and he had two boys. My DFIL had the two boys and was claiming to be more manly. Finally another friend chimed in and said, "Well, I believe it takes a real man to mix them."

He of course had a boy and a girl. Why do adults do that to each other and to their children?
    Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 AM

I remember dropping by to pick up my son from a friend's house. The family is from Egypt. The man of the household was questioning his wife on why she was teaching the oldest boy how to cook...she said "do you think a Canadian girl is going to cook for him?" IMHO Teaching boys to be self-sufficient in cooking, cleaning, laundry and sewing/mending is teaching life skills. I love that your gs knows about Ricky Tims, good work girlfriend!
    Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 AM

I taught both of mine (Son & Daughter) to cook, clean, sew, etc.

It paid off, he was a Marine for 12 years and had to do his own
    she has 3 children.
    Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    My daughter came over to pick up her son, Billy. He had spent the weekend with me...which he does a lot. He was going thru my stash looking for fabric for me to make a doll quilt for a friend's birthday. His mom said..."Are you teaching my son to quilt? He's a boy...teach him football"! My grandson, who is 10 years old, looked at her and said.."Don't you know about Ricky Tims"?

I laughed so hard...but I was proud of him!!
    that is wonderful!! my son is in computer work. his dad was always upset at son's lack of interest in sports, ie - football. son played bball for city league, in PA, played indoor hockey w city parks and rec. but inside house - he was learning basic piecing, hand embroidery at his request from my friend and i. his passion was any form of graphic expression. from his detailed childhood drawings to his VERY detailed D&D maps & then his computer animations. by the 21st century i would have thought that we would have finally gotten away from gender oriented crafts, sports and hobbies for our young. hopefully your grson can bring his mommy along into this century along w others who seem to have missed the entry portal to our wonderful 21st century world of ricky tims, john flynn & that delightful young woman, the first female competitve NASCAR driver.